wailinfree

Posted Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:53 am

I was hoping I could get some advice on selling my A500
It was working ok after I got it out of storage. I changed the battery and luckily there was no spilage.
The problem is a few months later I cleaned it up and took some good pics but when i went to fire it up again to show it works the power supply gave out on me.
Im not sure if I should spend the time to try and fix te power supply or sell it as is?
Im assuming the buyer will probably know ow to fix or use an alternative power supply source.
Does anyone have a schematic for thispower supply or one similar.
I know I should be able to troubleshoot without it but it would be helpful if I had something to compare to.
Does anyone know of a mod I can do to another power supply to at least get the computer working for the pics?
I bought this new in 1988 and I know the computer and monitor was working
The power supply did work up until now and I did test for voltages and she's dead.
I actually used this for music production. I also have a software program called Dr. T and a midi interface and magnavox monitor and I did get some extra memory. But no mods or anything to this. It hasnt been used since probably 1990.
I do have some disks and it did start with the kickstart disk. Unfortunately no good games I may have something but probably nothing sought after.
Do you think I should sell things seperately or bundle?
How much roughly should I ask?
I may post here and may give a break on the price but I would like to know what its roughly worth.
I have done a little searching on Ebay and have general idea but again not sure if I should spend the time to repair the power supply or sell as is.
Powersupply is the version 2 @ 4.5amps
Thanks for any advice.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:00 am

Where are you located?

I'd probably sell the midi device separately from the Amiga. And, the value of the Amiga will depend greatly on it's appearance. If it looks like new and works that's one thing. If it is totally yellow and looks like it was stored in a barn, that's another. Some photos would help in that regard.

You can get a brand new PSU for $60 including shipping. But you'd probably need to wait 2-3 weeks for it to arrive if you're in the US. If you went that route, you could then show prospective buyers that the machine boots and works. That would help the value.

FWIW there is a Dr T midi box on Ebay (I've been watching it) where they are asking $66 and it hasn't sold. Maybe if you sold it for 30 or 40 it would go.

Also, if you sold everything right now "As-is" your price would take a bigger hit since it would be a buyer beware situation.

wailinfree

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:33 am

Thanks for the advice. Where a good place to get the power supply and is there a specific one to look for? I'm ok waiting a few weeks.
The unit was in a plastic tote inside my house so it isn't too yellowed I don't think.
Ill upload some pics
resized a500.jpg
a500 back.jpg
disks a500.jpg

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:00 am

I assume you are in the USA, based on the disks that you have?

If so then I would check out Ray Carlsen's Power supplies. He is a long time Commodore Repair Engineer.

Ray Carlsen's Custom PSUs

He has an Amiga 500/600/1200 quality PSU in a metal case for $70.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:54 am

Ray is the best. I've heard through the Grapevine his PSU business has been really light lately. Only hitch is he's very old-school. You have to communicate via email (or phone). And he only takes checks. (!!) As more PSUs become available online around the world, Ray's business has taken a nosedive.

RayC.jpg
Photo of Ray Carlsen from 2021 with one of his newly created PSUs. Photo © Ray Carlsen.

His PSUs are the best. I have 2 of them. And his story is a really fun read.

But since you're looking to sell the thing anyway, though, the Polish alternative is probably fine and will save you a couple of bucks.

wailinfree

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:00 am

Thanks again guys
Yes Im in the US
I just can't see me using this thing or getting into gaming much.
I already have too many interests that I spend too much money on.
Id like to give Ray the business. But it seems easier to go the other route.

FYI the A500 does have a missing side and the eject button is broken
I also did get some extra ram.
I think you could only get a very little to maximize.

So what do people use these for
Just the games that were available back then?
Or are you able to modify them to use newer or other games.
Do you use with a newer HArd Disk and monitor?

Im already into vintage music equipment
And Tube Guitar amplifiers
Electronic Repair
Woodwind repair
So like I said I'm kinda afraid to start liking my A500 again but it can't hurt to learn before selling.

Any ideas on pricing would be appreciated.
Once I have a working power supply and can show the unit works

Thanks again

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:07 am

FYI the A500 does have a missing side and the eject button is broken
If you mean you lost the plastic cover for the expansion port, that's not entirely uncommon.

I also did get some extra ram.
How much is installed? You should put that in the listing.

I think you could only get a very little to maximize.
You'd be surprised....

So what do people use these for
Just the games that were available back then?

Most people today do use them to relive their younger lives, yes. Some push them to extremes - but you're not going to turn it into a daily driver modern machine. They are relegated to hobby and pastime machines now. But for some, that can mean most of their time! FWIW new games are still being released on these platforms, coded to work on the original systems.

Do you use with a newer HArd Disk and monitor?
Most of my Amigas today use SCSI2SD cards, with SD/SDmicro memory.

wailinfree

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:59 am

Thanks incrit8
I meant you were only able buy a few MB of ram at that time
Ill have to research what I actually bought
it wasnt much that was available to maximize the machine is what I meant
So is there a way to use more ram ?
Just curious
Is there a good link to learn about the a500

wailinfree

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:02 am

so the cards have memory built in so no need for the Amiga Ram? or it uses both?

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:11 pm

Since it is an A500 the Trapdoor RAM is usually 512k giving you a 1MB Amiga. This was probably what most people had as a minimum back then. You could also get some trap door expansions, like ADRAM that would bring it up to 4MB of added RAM with the use of an adapter that plugged into the GARY chip.

These days you can easily get an 8MB module that plugs directly into the 68K CPU socket. There is also devices like the ACA500Plus That gives you RAM, SPEED and Mass storage.

I understand wanting to pass it on as you have many interests. If it were me I would use it for a bit. Maybe you might find something in the way of Music or other things other then games that the Amiga does well. haha

As for price... As it sits now it is tough to say. I see them on eBay all over the place. $150 - $350. Low end is usually ones that are untested and have unknown issues and are what I have seen some go for at auction. Some people list them for $500, untested. They are crazy in my book. There is no shortage of A500s in North America so I don't know why they surged so much in the last few years.

Return to “Hardware”