comma1571

Posted Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:41 am

Hi, I'm wondering how many different versions of the A1000 keyboard were made, including preproduction. Am not so much interested in the different keymaps as much as the electronic and mechanical aspects.

The first (released) edition of the Amiga Hardware Manual (1985) mentions the early keyboards for the A1000 not having a watchdog timer. On a related note, the schematic included in the assembly level repair guide only uses 2 chips: a 556 timer and 6500/1 CPU. Mitsumi is listed as the vendor. I have also seen a picture of at least one example using a 6570 CPU, LS123 and another IC (LS00?).

The Velvet and Zorro development system keyboards with the Commodore "C=" command keys use a PCB with the components soldered on the underside, the CPU is a Rockwell R10L2-11. And there is an even earlier version (versions?) included with black boxes with yet another PCB and a different keyboard layout. Different keyboard mechs even.

I would appreciate any additional info.

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:51 pm

I took mine apart to take a look, and I was surprised to see its shielded all the way around, top and bottom. Its never been apart before, still had the plastic discs covering the screw holes. its deffo got misumi switches and a nice purple ceramic package with gold top as embedded controller.
a1kyb.jpg
a1k keyboard chips

Return to “Hardware”