cokobware

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:09 pm

Background: I just inherited an Amiga 1000, and it did not come with the appropriate disks needed to boot it. I am going to purchase some commercial ROM files so I can boot the machine properly, however I plan on doing this using a floppy emulator like a Gotek drive since this makes more sense in the long run.

The ask: I am wondering if I should be getting a Gotek drive to use internally as a replacement floppy drive? Or should I invest in an external Gotek setup with the external port adapter, OLED, and DF0/1 knob switcher? Or is there a truly better way to do this? (I had considered a Pistorm setup, however Pi 3A+s are currently unavailable worldwide). Budget is unclear... I may have up to $200 CAD to play with, but honestly I'm just so new at this... my local city does not have an retro Amiga scene at the moment, so nobody to ask there either.

Any help/guidance/ass kicking appreciated!

dalek
Australia

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:27 pm

These decisions are pretty personal really. Either way you are wanting a gotek so I would just get one from Aliexpress (then flash it with flashfloppy) and start using it instead of the internal drive until you know exactly what you want. From there you can mod it or get an external adapter later. That will allow you to use a kickstart disk and then workbench / games with minimal cost.

You might then be happy with that or want to explore other options as you learn what else is out there, or sink your upgrade money in to a more capable Amiga and keep the 1000 stock.

Opinions will vary - there are a ton of other solutions (accelerator, parceiro, replacement boards etc). If you browse this forum for a while you'll get a better understanding of what will work for you :)

cokobware

Posted Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:40 am

dalek wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:27 pm
These decisions are pretty personal really. Either way you are wanting a gotek so I would just get one from Aliexpress (then flash it with flashfloppy) and start using it instead of the internal drive until you know exactly what you want. From there you can mod it or get an external adapter later. That will allow you to use a kickstart disk and then workbench / games with minimal cost.

You might then be happy with that or want to explore other options as you learn what else is out there, or sink your upgrade money in to a more capable Amiga and keep the 1000 stock.

Opinions will vary - there are a ton of other solutions (accelerator, parceiro, replacement boards etc). If you browse this forum for a while you'll get a better understanding of what will work for you :)
Thank you! This is such a deep community with lots of different things going on... really appreciate your perspective :)

BatteMan
France

Posted Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:30 am

You can take a look at my topic : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1171

I changed the internal floppy and I'm using a DF0Selector for switching DF0 to an external HxC (a floppy emulator).
I'm also using a Classic 520 ;-)

It's another way to keep your 1000 intact and using it with some upgrades ;)

Return to “Hardware”