Bryan.K.Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA

Posted Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:19 am

I am in need a floppy disk drive for my Amiga 2000.
I see on EvilBay a PC Floppy Disk drive to Amiga Adapter that converts a standard, garden variety PC 1.44meg high density dike drive to an Amiga 880K double density drive.
This is a really attractive solution for me as I need a Floppy Disk Drive for my Amiga 2000.
However, the aesthetics of this solution is lacking.

I looked for a 3D printed face plate or floppy disk frame like this style used for PCs:

I see lots of 3D printed objects for the Amiga 2000, but I have not discovered one that lets a PC Floppy look stock in an Amiga 2000.
Is there a file to download that would 3D print a new face for the PC Floppy?
...or print a frame for the Case Floppy opening that would fill in the gap?
Last edited by Bryan.K.Smith on Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:21 am

I may be misunderstanding, but I think a lot of times PC floppies are able to sit behind the original faceplates. However, the eject buttons have to be re-designed and printed because they won't line up at all.

I have an Amiga 1000 that has a modified PC floppy drive. But it required a friend of mine model and print a custom button. Also, aligning the drive housing & button was a major PITA. If it was 1/10 of a millimeter off, the disk would get stuck. After I made those annoying micro adjustments it worked great.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:23 am

Here is an example of an Amiga 500 replacement drive. Note the custom eject button.
Attachments
internal-floppy-disk-drive-for-amiga-500.jpg

Bryan.K.Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA

Posted Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:08 pm

intric8 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:21 am
I may be misunderstanding, but I think a lot of times PC floppies are able to sit behind the original faceplates. However, the eject buttons have to be re-designed and printed because they won't line up at all.
Yes sir, I believe you are correct.
However, I do not have an existing Amiga floppy to reuse it faceplate.
intric8 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:21 am
I have an Amiga 1000 that has a modified PC floppy drive. But it required a friend of mine model and print a custom button. Also, aligning the drive housing & button was a major PITA. If it was 1/10 of a millimeter off, the disk would get stuck. After I made those annoying micro adjustments it worked great.
Your Amiga 1000 has a built in face plate (kinda sorta, the whole front of the case is integrated with the Floppy faceplate)

Like you, have have some friends that are 3D printing artists...but I have never asked them for this kind of help.
I was hoping that something already existed that I could just have printed...
...or someone would say, "Hey, go buy this widget and all of your Amiga problems will automagically go away"

What I did discover while browsing through all the 3D projects for the Amiga 2000, was a bracket to mount a PC style ATX power supply in an Amiga 2000 case.
This a new rabbit hole I think might go down! :shock:

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:54 pm

Well hm... Could this be the frame you seek? It looks a lot like the image you posted above you're looking for. ^

(surfing international Ebay sites as a last resort sometimes strikes gold)

:boing:

Bryan.K.Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA

Posted Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:48 am

intric8 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:54 pm
Well hm... Could this be the frame you seek? It looks a lot like the image you posted above you're looking for. ^

(surfing international Ebay sites as a last resort sometimes strikes gold)

:boing:
YESS!!
That is exactly what I was asking about!
I have ordered two!
Thank you very much!

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:05 pm

The rabbit hole is even greater than you can fathom if you’re one of those who have only recently come back to an A2000.

Graphic cards, redesigned sound cards, USB, networking, PSUs, RAM expansions, CPU accelerators, HD controllers … it’s all there 😆

Return to “Hardware”