tinatinker

Posted Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:21 pm

I've spent a fair amount of time researching this and have not found an answer. My Amiga 2500 has a 23 pin RGB video out port. I would like to connect it to a small Samsung tv that has both HDMI and VGA inputs. What would I need in the way of a cable and/or converter to accomplish this? Thanks

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:12 am

Hi,

actually you got a lot of options.

Internally, you have two and a half option.

Devices that go into the socket of the Denise are the Indivision ECS, which will output VGA, and a carrierboard for the Raspberryies, the „RGB2HDMI“, which will, as the name suggests, output HDMI. The RGB2HDMI can go other into the Videoslot or the Denise socket, depends on the actual carrier.

If the machine is a long-term commitment, you could try to get a ZZ9000 including the VideoSlot daughterboard where you have it all in one package - Graphics card, HDMI, Scandoubler, Flickerfixer, etc. etc. You can even get a sound module with mp3 playback.

Externally I think it comes down the devices „Medusa“ (Lotharek) and D520 as well as the one-size-fits all OSSC Open Source Scandoubler. The Medusa is also quite versatile.

With the Indivsion, you can support one of the last if not the last commercial Retro-gear manufacturer, iComp. They make incredible stuff for Amiga and C64.

Quite a lot of people use the Raspberry as they already have one and then can play around with the daughterboard.

jamesyoung

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:02 pm

There's a some other options not mentioned above. PiStorm will give you Fast RAM, networking, RTG, kickstart and disk for about $120 AUD. It's much cheaper than a RTG card like the Picasso IV or ZZ9000. Plus it took the Raspberry Pi out of the drawer. The GBS-8200 scaler also works excellent for me. I perfomed the GBS-Control mod and it gives amazing picture quality.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:30 pm

Right, two excellent options.

The PiStorm is in extensive discussion in other forums so I was wondering if it was that easy to set up. Once up and running, it is an impressive boost to your machine. I don’t have one and can’t speak first hand.

The GBS seems to require a mod. Again, I don’t have one. Judging by the discussions, it seems to have been somewhat replaced by the OSSC. A highly versatile and well-received option.

luvwagn

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:42 pm

The PiStorm won't help this user though, because it sounds like they need to get connected to an existing monitor first, and that would be from the Amiga side. So I'd think an RGB2HDMI would be cheapest route... About $80 total.

Although, if you end up getting RTG later via a PiStorm or ZZ9000 etc, that'll also output HDMI - and then you might run out of HDMI inputs to the LCD. Get an external HDMI switch I guess?

luvwagn

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:44 pm

@tinatinker - you'd likely want something like this:
https://retroready.one/products/amiga-2 ... gb2hdmi-dx

and then you still need a pi zero board, an sd card (2GB or larger), and the prepwork to configure the sd card...

Return to “Hardware”