jdryyz

Posted Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:15 am

I am not able to read any geometry data off of an old Quantum LPS 52S drive. It has a nice, healthy (but now too loud) spin to it, and there are no signs of trouble on the PCB. I have attached it to three different SCSI boards all with the same results. Resistor packs are in place and doing their job.

I thinking it is some failure of the circuit board and not a mechanical issue in this case.
quantum_52S.jpg

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:13 pm

If the documentation for this drive can be found online, you might try to enter the geometry manually.

I am time and again surprised what kind of intel can be found on such devices. Probably more than for new devices.

jdryyz

Posted Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:28 pm

That might be a problem also if it is destructive. My goal in this case would be to recover the data if possible.

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:41 am

Well then you’re potentially in trouble. As soon as you want to work with an RDB, something may be written onto the drive.

At least it’s beyond my capabilities. Maybe you can create some sort of lowlevel-copy with a PC.

jdryyz

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:50 pm

That was the very first thing I tried. WinUAE has an option to create an image. It is not low level enough, though. It couldn't create anything because it too only reads the drive as "0MB".

Did you have any specific PC software in mind that can do this?

McTrinsic wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:41 am
Well then you’re potentially in trouble. As soon as you want to work with an RDB, something may be written onto the drive.

At least it’s beyond my capabilities. Maybe you can create some sort of lowlevel-copy with a PC.

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:22 pm

No, unfortunately not.

Nobody about professional data backup or recovery programs.

The programs I am aware of all require some basic OS function.

Return to “Hardware”