jdryyz

Posted Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:20 pm

I mentioned I was using BaudBandit.device. I have tried 8n1.device also. That's what I am currently using with TERM. I believe it is KS 2.x and above only, though, so BaudBandit.device is the best I have for my Workbench 1.3 systems.

ZModem fails me over my local TCP/IP network also, not just over the internet. I have even tested it with two 56k analog modems connected over a straight telephone cable. I used NovaTerm 9.6c on two C64s with REUs and SwiftLink. It still croaks! Might be NovaTerm's ZModem code.

And yet, it works just fine with DCTelnet. Is DCTelnet tweaking ZModem in some way to make it work error free over the internet?? This, when connected to CNet Amiga boards. Last I checked DCTelnet uses the same xprz library as TERM for xfer protocol.

JimDrew wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:32 pm
You probably need to use a different "serial.device" driver. I would recommend using BaudBandit.device or 8N1.device instead. Both of these support 115,200 just fine. The stock serial driver starts having issues at 57600+ baud.

Also keep in mind that wireless routers are not land-lines. By default, Z-modem has a very tight timing window designed around a sub 50ms ping time. You can easily have longer than 50ms when hopping across IP's around the globe, and even across your room (depending on the router).

JimDrew
LHC, AZ

Posted Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:13 pm

Since you are using OS1.3 that would mean you are using either OCS or ECS chipset. If your terminal program is using more than 4 colors (especially 16 colors), expect to have problems with high speed communications because of DMA contention.

jdryyz

Posted Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:46 pm

True on all counts.

I will test it in 4 color mode. I figured my accelerated Amiga would be able overcome the DMA contention, however.
JimDrew wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:13 pm
Since you are using OS1.3 that would mean you are using either OCS or ECS chipset. If your terminal program is using more than 4 colors (especially 16 colors), expect to have problems with high speed communications because of DMA contention.

Return to “Hardware”