LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:20 am

While I can get AGA output directly from my Amiga 4000, one thing I did want to really have for it was a graphics card that would let me also run Workbench in nice high resolutions without seriously bogging down the machine. Problem is, though, is that cards like the Picasso IV and the like are outrageously expensive on the aftermarket nowadays, often running for several hundreds of dollars! What's an Amiga user to do if they want something better for their big box Amiga?

Well, I think I may have found a solution. Enter the MNT VA2000 Amiga Graphics Card!

Designed by a guy named Lukas F. Hartmann, the VA2000 is compatible with all big box Amigas (2000, 3000, 4000) with Zorro II or III slots, has a DVI-D output which makes using newer monitors (if you're into that sort of thing!) easier, and can output some very nice, high res Workbench screen modes. It is also free/open source; the card designs are up on GitHub if you're interested in taking a look at what makes the card tick!

From the looks of this card, however, or at least what the documentation seems to be telling me, this card does *not* output native Amiga video through it (i.e. you still need a monitor or an output cable hooked to the Amiga video port for that). However, there's an add-on card that will pipe native Amiga video straight to the VA2000's video output.

Since the A4000 deserves a massive pimping out, I'm looking to get this card for it. I may also do a video about it as well. My A500 is getting the Wicher 500i still; having a faster CPU means that games that already tax the 68000 will get some extra horsepower to play smoothly. It also means that I can have 8MB RAM and an IDE connector to put a Workbench 2.1 CF card on it, with the option of staying nice and tidy.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:43 am

I remember looking at this card some time last summer IIRC (2016). It's extremely high-quality and has excellent support. The guy who designed and built it really knows his shit. I ultimately decided to pass on it as I'm keeping my Amiga's retro. If I had the desk space, I'd consider having at least one "completely bonkers" Amiga just to geek out on how crazy I could make it.

But to actually use it on a day-to-day basis, I really do love having mine be retro-focused, with some minor enhancements (very small bumps in CPU - to be more in line with 3000/4000 speeds, RAM, & storage). That's just me. And that means being 99.9% compatible and hassle-free.

But dude if you do get one of these cards, I really can't wait to see what you do with it!

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:37 am

I definitely plan to, but I'll have to wait a little bit; unfortunately I can't pay with PayPal Credit for one, so I need to first wait for a little extra cash flow!

madgrizzle

Posted Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:35 am

LambdaCalculus wrote:While I can get AGA output directly from my Amiga 4000, one thing I did want to really have for it was a graphics card that would let me also run Workbench in nice high resolutions without seriously bogging down the machine.
I have a VA2000 with the CX card for use in an A2000. It works really well and Lucas seems to be somewhat active in improving it (just released a nice new firmware a few weeks ago that redid the memory space). He's got other projects going on (non-Amiga related), so this isn't his only baby, but he seems to find time to work on it.

The VA2000/CX doesn't support AGA graphics, however. Not sure if that's a problem for you based upon what you said. I guess you would have to have two cables running to to the monitor (one coming out native AGA output and the other the HDMI from the VA2000) and then switch between them?

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:24 am

I do have an RGB-to-SCART cable, along with a SCART-to-HDMI box recommended by none other than three Amigans: Bill and Anthony of The Guru Meditation and Ms Mad Lemon, so I can get a decent screen for my 4000, an HDMI switcher, and just set the entire lot up that way.

Damn, I really have to get a better desk now! :P

Return to “Hardware”