Oojaplonk
Willenhall UK

Posted Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:48 pm

For those that remember when I joined I wanted to try and dig out my old A500 sometime and try to get her setup again.

Finally I managed to go diving around in the spare/junk storage room and found -

[image removed due to 404]

Yes a very yellowed A500 there but still my original one from 25+ years ago <3 and yes at some point during my childhood I stuck a Pentium MMX sticker on there for some reason :shock: The power supply is out of shot.

Though now the problem comes in trying to find a suitable TV to hook my A500 up to, as the main TV and the one I use for my consoles are HDMI only, my monitor is D-SUB & DVI. I think I have an old HD TV somewhere that has a coaxil connection so I may have to try and find that to test.

Space is also an issue now as I have to try and find somewhere to setup again, I am wondering if I will be able to get away with taking over the dining room table but I don't think that will go down well ! :D :D

Once I get more time I will open her up and check to see if the board looks all good. Next step trying to find what happened to all my games ! Hopefully these weren'y put in the loft as I doubt they would have survived.

TomCorbett

Posted Wed May 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi Oojaplonk,

You haven't said further what you have done, but after I got my A500 running again (Clock backup battery bad on A501), I found that a Amiga video to SCAT cable from Amigakit, and a SCAT to HDMI converter box from Amazon got me working nicely on a typical Samsung 32 in. TV. IIRC in the UK and Europe, SCAT ports may be on monitors/TVs, don't know for a fact though. My GVP HD and memory card for the side port on the A500 were not working right, memory was OK, the HD just did not exist. I tried substituting another 52mb drive that was guaranteed not DOA, did nothing. How is your restoration project coming along? Tom

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 12:00 am

Why did you go so low with the new SCSI drive? If it was guaranteed not dead, I hope you sent it back. I replaced a 500mb drive that was dying with two drives over 4 gigs. They needed 10 dollar converters, but they worked just fine (the newest of them was spinning a bit too fast for my liking though). The newer SCSI's all work, they just need the right adapter. But my original drive was a good 500mb with the original connection, go bigger! I bought two SCSI drives, I think one was 15 dollars, the other 20. Did it even spin up? My money would be on the hard drive being dead if it didn't even spin up, remember that the on/off switch needs to be connected or it won't spin up. If it did spin up but can't be recognized, you've got to use the special GVP utility disk to initialize it. Be sure to check the jumpers on the drive as well, the Amiga would need it to be set to ID 0. Perhaps this might help, wouldn't give up on that just yet.

Bulletdust

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 12:35 am

Am I the only one that can't see an image?

McTrinsic

Posted Thu May 10, 2018 1:26 am

Same here.

Interested in how this went further :)

Oojaplonk
Willenhall UK

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi All,

Apologies for not posting since the original post but real life has got in the way of things with my mothers health and trying to sort things out and generally taking care of her I've really not been around much, I haven't really done anything since the original post but I see some want to see the original image which for some reason has dissapeared. So i've uploaded it to my onedrive and here it is.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:15 pm

Sorry to hear about your mom. Hang in there.

Oojaplonk
Willenhall UK

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:31 pm

Thank you, I'm still hoping to get my A500 up and running at some point. Had many happy memories playing on it all those years ago !

Return to “Hardware”