tlgrooms

Posted Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:39 am

I'd also love to have one of these boards if you stil have one available. I am in the states,

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:52 pm

tlgrooms wrote:I'd also love to have one of these boards if you stil have one available. I am in the states,
I have one more left. Send me a PM with your address and it's yours.

TheGoose

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:37 pm

Wow ! I need one of these ROM adapters, take my money! I can solder, no problem if you have any PCB left could I get one ?

Great work and post - the adapter looks really nice, I can almost follow each trace to each pin.
johnAnderson-pic.png
I'm guessing the boards are gone - so was wondering the dimensions (mm) of the PCB ? I am looking at a batch to be made.

Thanks.

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:53 am

TheGoose wrote:Wow ! I need one of these ROM adapters, take my money! I can solder, no problem if you have any PCB left could I get one ?

Great work and post - the adapter looks really nice, I can almost follow each trace to each pin.

I'm guessing the boards are gone - so was wondering the dimensions (mm) of the PCB ? I am looking at a batch to be made.

Thanks.
I do still have one left. It's yours if you PM with your address.

If you'd like to have a batch made, just download the gerber files from the original post and upload them to a PCB manufacturer like EasyEDA. You can have 10 made for as little as $5 (+ shipping from China, of course.)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:12 am

I'm going to do a really long follow-up with pics when I make it to the finish line, but I wanted to give at least a quick update on my recent experience.

Last night I put a fully good-to-go modified daughterboard and new EZdineG switcher board in my stock 1000. (Thanks again, EZdineG!)

At first I put the whole stack in there: MKL 8MB RAM & AdSpeed in the 68000 slot (plenty of room), KS 1.3 in the ROM bay. Hooked up the wire that connects it to the daughterboard and removed the 1000s two odd/even ROMs below the FDD drive.

The first time I fired it up I got a flashing white screen and pulsing power light. It seemed to be trying to do an instant crash/reboot into infinity.

With EZdineG being super cool on the phone offering tech support, doing his best with offerig testing options, I went through a process of trial and error to try and isolate the issue. After a 5th board swap, one of my pins on under the 68000 board pathetically and limply fell off onto my table. That pretty much ended my evening with the new board. I was pretty depressed at first, but I know it must have been something dumb on my part. And it's a fixable problem. I was probably being to hasty in my excitement.

I am going to be going on a fairly long vacation soon and will be out of the country. So I'm starting to prepare for that now. But when I get back I plan on giving this a second push. It's so danged cool and clean - I know we'll figure it out.

I put the machine all back together at the end of the night just like it was before I started and everything works just fine. I do look forward to jumping back into this again in the near future. It's an awesome solution.

slashetc

Posted Wed May 30, 2018 3:07 pm

great work @EzdineG, thanks for sharing.
I ordered some boards from china, borrowed a 1.3 ROM from my A500, plugged in the MKL 8MB + IDE adapter and it booted first time :D

By the way I do have some spare boards if anyone in the UK want's one.

McTrinsic

Posted Thu May 31, 2018 1:25 am

Hey intric8,
I fully understand your excitement and the potential haste there.
You might want to add these expansions one by one.
... Been down that road before ;) .

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Thu May 31, 2018 10:06 am

slashetc wrote:great work @EzdineG, thanks for sharing.
I ordered some boards from china, borrowed a 1.3 ROM from my A500, plugged in the MKL 8MB + IDE adapter and it booted first time :D

By the way I do have some spare boards if anyone in the UK want's one.
Thanks! I've been meaning to update the original post with more information regarding PAL units.:

NTSC / PAL motherboards with daughterboard:
U6J - Bend pin 17 out or cut on daughterboard
U4K - Connect pin 1 & 20 with 4.7kOhm resistor
U6L - Connect Pin 13 to Kickstart board J1

PAL motherboards with no daughterboard:
U6N - Bend pin 17 out or cut on daughterboard
U3J - Connect pin 1 & 20 with 4.7kOhm resistor
U4S - Connect pin 13 to Kickstart board J1

... and a new board iteration!
I had a friend of mine in Germany measure the requirements for fitting one of Matze's 530TK 68030TK accelerators in an Amiga 1000, the result of which is this:
514_tk.JPG
Kickstart Switcher w/ 2.04 and 2.05 installed

The socket is relocated in the opposite direction and a bit higher, allowing this accelerator to fit. I've also added a second ROM socket and connectors for a 3 pole toggle so you can switch between Kickstarts.

Unfortunately, you may have to cut the RF shield to fit this board since we had to go way out to fit the 530TK 68030TK. I can post the files for this if there's interest. I still have a few extra boards from this order, too. I may be inclined to design a variation of the original board as a switcher if enough people ask.

More information about the 530TK 68030TK can be found here.

[EDIT] Incorrectly stated pin 19 to J1 on this post, which should be pin 13. Original article was correct.

Adrian
Last edited by EzdineG on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu May 31, 2018 10:35 am

50Mhz? Holy smoke, that's bananas! Very cool and inspirational work you're doing, Adrian.

Do you have a pic of your new board design with the installed 530TK in place?

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Thu May 31, 2018 11:03 am

intric8 wrote:50Mhz? Holy smoke, that's bananas! Very cool and inspirational work you're doing, Adrian.

Do you have a pic of your new board design with the installed 530TK in place?
The real deal here is that you can configure the 530TK 68030TK with 64MB RAM! No, I haven't had time to build mine yet. Here's a picture Viktor sent me after getting his relocator built:
530_tk.JPG
Note the IDE/RAM card attached via the white connector at the top. It crashes in to a case pole and the accelerator is well inside floppy territory without the relocator.

Last edited by EzdineG on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware”