DazzaS

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:30 am

This is awesome...

Purchased a DE10 to play some old games and was looking around for a nice retro like case to print then found Matt's Amiga 600 MiSTer build.

After that there was just no other choice I had to have one of these for myself. :mrgreen:

Here is a happy snap of my final prints laid out in A600 base, the fit up is a testament to Matt's attention to detail.

BTW if you are going to print Matt's Amiga 600 MiSTer build be sure to print up a larger calibration cube to ensure printer accuracy, millimetres matter on this one.

MattSwe

Posted Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:39 am

This is great! I'm getting inspired and I will try to use this in a new project.

DazzaS: Did you print this in one whole piece or are the joints just invisible? :)

DazzaS

Posted Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:39 am

MattSwe wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:39 am
DazzaS: Did you print this in one whole piece or are the joints just invisible? :)
Hi MattSwe,

Would nice to be have a 3D printer with a build volume to handle monster prints but alas print is true to Mattsoft's original design so 6 individual parts in 5 prints not including the oversized ones due to printer calibration :roll:

Here is a happy snap of all the prints with some accessories fitted.

Here is a quick BOM of the parts I have so far not including DE10 and MiSTer v6.0 I/O board.

1x DC Power Supply Jack Socket Female Panel Mount Connector 5.5 x 2.1mm, Fitting hole of 7.8mm with rear locking nut.
1x Mini Panel Mount Switch 3A 250V ON-OFF SPST Dimensions 15x10x17mm Mounting Hole 14x9mm.
1x 8mm Mini Waterproof Car Momentary Push Button Switch Zinc-Aluminium *This one differs to Matt's.
1x Adafruit Panel mount HDMI Cable 40cm part number ADA978, *This is a perfect fit.
2x SparkFun USB Type A Female Breakout part number BOB-12700
1x Micro SD TO Micro SD Card Extension Cable Adaptor Extender
1x Heatsink with 3m tape for DE10 FPGA Dimensions 22x22x10mm
1x Adafruit ZERO4U 4-PORT USB HUB without POGO pins v1.3 part number ADA4115
1x Micro USB B Male to Mini USB B Male Data Cables Digital Cables Cord OTG Adapter

I am still looking at MiSTer Memory and Keyboard adaptor options.

DazzaS
Last edited by DazzaS on Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattsoft

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:37 am

3D-vice wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:49 am
That is a pretty neat project, Matt!

I'd like to ask a 3D-print related question: Was it hard to get all of those measurements done? Or did you use any kind of 3D-scanner? The reason I ask is because I have an unfinished Rhaspberry-PI C64 project and IF I ever continue working on it, I'll need to 3D-print a bunch of adapters too.

Thanks in advance! :)
Calipers and a ruler and lots and lots of prototypes. :)

Tekk
The Netherlands - EU

Posted Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:52 am

Can you design a solution with the memory card in the disk slot for the A500 project as well? Cheers... :)

ikklepaul

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:06 am

mattsoft,

Wow these look great, i'm considering doing the same with an old Amiga 1200 case and keyboard.

You don't by chance have any 3d models for the A1200 do you?

Keep up the great work :D

MattSwe

Posted Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:29 am

I hope you guys think this is OK. ;) All I can say is that I've had so much fun with this and I wanted to show you. The excellent build by mattsoft made it possible.

What are we looking at? :) Yes, it's a NUC instead of a MiSTer. It's USB3 and RJ45 and a ventilation grille. It works really well and runs cooler than expected. It loads straight into WinUAE (all visual Windows elements removed).

I don't own a 3D printer, so I had it printed out for me and the alterations were made using "analogue" tools. :D The black A600 case was bought on eBay.

Thank you, mattsoft.

alexatkin

Posted Fri May 08, 2020 4:19 am

Is anyone in the UK and able to print these parts for me?

I can't think of any other way I'm going to get it done during the lock down, plus I figure anyone who has already done it will already have the calibration sorted.

PiddlyD

Posted Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:55 am

mattsoft wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:17 pm
I've had a couple of questions, here are some answers:

Q: How much did all this cost?
A: More than you'd like. Here's the cost breakdown:

DE10-Nano $130
I/O Board $30
SDRAM Board $30
Tynemouth USB Keyboard Adapter $65
Amiga 600 Case $35
Amiga 600 Keyboard $35
Zero4U USB Hub $15
Various bits and bobs: $50
Total: $390

Q: Does the MiSTer support an 030 or 040?
A: Not that I am aware of. I believe the max CPU type is currently an 020. However, the project operates as open source so anyone is free to contribute.
To the question of if the MiSTer supports 68030 or 68040...

It does a 68020/100mhz - it clocks faster than An A3000/30.

And it isn't like emulation - where it burns up on Sysinfo but real world applications choke on bottlenecks.

I have an A500 with Classic 520, another with the ACA 500 with the ACA 1220/30,

And an Amiga 600 also running a 68020/30.

What I've noticed is that things that are compatibility issues that happen on a real Amiga with a 68020 (for example, garbled audio in Bards Tale 1,) don't happen in WinUAE or UAE4ARM...

But the MiSTer FPGA is such an accurate recreation of the genuine architecture that if the real Amiga has issues, the MiSTer core has the exact same issues.

I discovered this because I played BT1 on a MiSTer... then I decided to switch to WinUAE (easier save states when later in the game, I didn't want to go back to the guild to save on very long levels...) The music was garbled on the MiSTer, but sounded fine on emulation of a 68020. So, I thought, "Well, MiSTer isn't THAT accurate!"

Then I got the accelerator, and loaded up BT1 there, and to my surprise, the audio glitches from the MiSTer were there on the genuine hardware.

And it is worth noting that I paid $400 for my recent A600 as a complete kit with a 68020, mmu, 16gb CF hard drive, and 15khz LCD. So this idea is actually pretty economical.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:44 am

@PiddlyD that's fascinating. I assume your accelerator can't be software- removed so you can bang on the original 68000 CPU?

Regardless - really interesting experiment and results. Thanks for sharing!

Return to “Hardware”