Dynamic_Computing

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:35 pm

As I posted a few weeks ago, I set up my Amiga with a couple of 15000 RPM SCSI drives and it has been running like a champ. But these drives are attached to the warp engine on my accelerator card. I recently ordered a 68040 >68060 adapter for my Warp Engine. as soon as it came in and I disassembled my Amiga to install it I realized that my warp engine did not have a socket for the CPU, it was soldered onto the main board. I am not afraid of a soldering iron, but the thought of desoldering and resoldering a socket on a twenty-five-year-old accelerator card made me a little nervous. I contacted the gentleman in Belgium that I ordered the adapter from, and he is going to upgrade my warp engine for me and add two more Simm sockets to boot!
This is going to leave me with an old a 3640 accelerator with no SCSI. And no hard drive. Now I could have just gone back and used my CF card that I was using before, but what fun would that be? So I ordered in a 120 gig SSD drive and an IDE to SATA adapter. Why not? It was cheap. The adapter was like 10 or $12 and the drive was about 30.
I wanted to use the SFS file system, but when I try to boot my system it would not even recognize the SSD drive at all. I tried 3 different SCSI.device versions and none would even see the device. Just for Laughs I tried enabling IDEfix97, and the drive came up just like a champ!
I tried to format the drives using the SFS file system but I continually l got errors and failures. I finally just went back to good old FFS. The new version that comes with Boing Bag for, The Unofficial one, supports large drives just fine and fixes a lot of problems with the original fast file system.
Now I have transferred all of my data onto a 120 gig SSD drive and things are humming along pretty nicely. Now all I have to do is send away my warp engine to a guy four thousand miles away and wait a month for it to come back.

dalek
Australia

Posted Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:19 pm

nice work - though I think you should check out PFS3AIO http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/pfs3aio. Much better than FFS these days.

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:39 pm

Ya... IDEFIX kinda stinks. Everything works great until it decides not to. I started experiencing my partitions just disappearing and showing up as unformatted randomly. I finally switch them over so I just had a couple of four gig partitions on my 120 gig Drive. Those decided to vanish to after a few days.
I finally gave up and put my old 10 gig IDE Drive in there and made a 4 gig and a 6 gig partition, and used FFS and the normal SCSI device simply because these are incredibly reliable. I then put my 16 gig compact flash card in as a slave drive and formatted it with the PFS file system to the full 16 gigs. Things have been humming along beautifully for a week configured like this.
I am sending my warp engine across the ocean in a day or two, and the guy doing the work wants me to send the actual 040-060 adapter along with it... That means I get to go back to a "blazing fast" a3640 with a 25 megahertz 68040 chip for a month.
it will be worth it in the end as I will have a working warp Engine with an 060 chip and 128 megabytes of RAM, and I will have my lovely warp engine SCSI drives back.
It is okay. I will just end up doing most of my work for my new video cast on my UAE installation on my PC until I get my fast Hardware back.

Return to “Hardware”