oldbull

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:36 pm

I'm trying the 1084 monitor with my A1000 and the bottom inch of the CRT is not being used. This happens over both composite and over RGB. The top of the image is where it should be. I saw the "v height" hole in the back but I can't see the actual adjuster thing the screwdriver fits into.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:37 pm

It takes a long skinny screwdriver to adjust that setting, and it can stretch your screen vertically to fit. IIRC you kind of have to use that adjustment, then use an additional knob in the front tray to get things just right. Make sure you're loading an NTSC disk (or even just Workbench) when you do make it right.

You shouldn't have to deal with b/w anything with the 1084.

FWIW if you're using a 1084, you'll want to grab yourself an RGB cable. The picture is a bit sharper. Composite is awesome for sure, but RGB is just a bit better if the option is there. One of the very cool things about the 1084 (and others like it) is you can plug more than one machine into it at a time. I'll sometimes have an A1000 and C64 plugged into my 1084S - RGB for the Amiga, and composite for the C64. It's great.

oldbull

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:37 pm

Sorry if there was any confusion. The B&W issues are entirely with a composite connection and on the tv. BTW Samsung 7100 series 4K tvs do a nice job upscaling composite Amiga.

I did not test the 1084 for B&W issues. I do have an RGB cable and hooked the 1084 up that was first. Color was fine but the bottom inch of screen was not being used. I then tried the composite connection to confirm the missing inch was occurring there as well.

About the v-height adjustment. That is so deep in the chassis I would literally be sticking the screwdriver in blind. I'm afraid of stabbing something and getting shocked or breaking the 1084 so it does not work at all.

Realistic solution at this point is to find an RGB to VGA (or) RGB to HDMI adaptor.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:54 am

I have a long skinny screwdriver I use for that. It does take some dexterity- but you won’t hurt anything as long as you keep it straight. Good luck!

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:47 pm

Back when I was 12 or so, I shorted out a 1084S by sticking a metal screwdriver in that slot trying to adjust the height. I then proceeded to disassemble the monitor and broke the neck on the tube trying to squeeze it back together. That experience still haunts me to this day. The horror!

Moral of the story is to use a plastic tool to do it, or just take the back off the monitor and adjust it where it’s in plain sight. You will have access to other geometry pots on the board that are not revealed through the chassis, in case you really want to get it right. ;)

Appee

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:12 pm

I just got a 1080. Thank you for this post existing. It solved my problem and I'm very happy :)

Return to “Hardware”