oldbull

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:45 pm

I'm getting a shopping list together and considering an RGB to VGA adapter. I have a 17 inch CRT monitor I would like to use but just picking it up I can tell it weighs a good bit more than a 1084. I don't want to damage the A1000 by putting too much weight on it.

Has anyone else tried a 17 inch CRT on top of an A1000?

Thanks.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:57 am

I don't have an Amiga 1000 but I do have some older Macs like an LC III and a IIsi that seem to be similar in what they will hold. 17" monitors in the 80's was not really a big thing. Most were 14" or less and considerably lighter then 17" monitors of the mid to late 90's. If it is anything like my 17" Sony CPD Trinitron I don't use them on top of the smaller Macs. It is fine on the A2000 and on some of the later desktop Macs.

If it were me I probably would use a monitor stand over the 1000. But perhaps people that have an A1000 can answer better.

I worry about the plastic sagging and breaking or becoming bowed. But maybe that is just me.
Last edited by Zippy Zapp on Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JEY08
Bath, MI

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:15 am

oldbull wrote:I'm getting a shopping list together and considering an RGB to VGA adapter. I have a 17 inch CRT monitor I would like to use but just picking it up I can tell it weighs a good bit more than a 1084. I don't want to damage the A1000 by putting too much weight on it.

Has anyone else tried a 17 inch CRT on top of an A1000?

Thanks.
I haven't done that but I have a 17" monitor and know what you mean about the weight. I think it would depend on what the base of your monitor looks like. If it spreads the weight over a large area and not just four pads it might be o.k.

As you remember the case top of the A1000 is held together by 5 posts. Those support the weight and are fairly far apart. The one in the center probably gets most of the load. Spreading the load with a board that covers the top of the A1000 would help.

I was nervous putting my 17" on an A3000. It was fine but it has a steel case.

oldbull

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:56 pm

Thank you. It sounds like the A1000 was not designed to bear much weight beyond the official Commodore monitors of the day. I'll have to arrange my desk accordingly.

Return to “Hardware”