nonarkitten

Posted Sun May 02, 2021 5:50 pm

The price on this is nuts, but if anyone's tired of waiting ;)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/224446463485?ul_noapp=true

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Sun May 02, 2021 6:05 pm

nonarkitten wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:50 pm
The price on this is nuts, but if anyone's tired of waiting ;)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/224446463485?ul_noapp=true
I saw that, it's insane what it's up to now!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun May 02, 2021 6:37 pm

Oh, we've been watching. It's totally bonkers.

Micro-update:

I receive my original Rejuve on Wednesday of this week, as well as some other new bits and bobs. Then it gets shipped to Germany either Thursday or Friday to folks I've never met before but I trust due to how embedded they are in the scene.

Here's the tough part always in the back of my mind now, though.

I acquired a Dev Machine a couple of years ago and I got it via FedEx Ground. But there had been a 2nd box - filled with priceless historical documents and disks. That box simply never arrived. From what I was told, it was likely sent to a warehouse left to sit for weeks before ultimately being ripped open, deemed junk and sent to a landfill. Those virtually one-of-a-kind documents, gone.

A friend of mine and member of this site paid for a complete A1K system (like the Ebay auction above) just two weeks ago. The only way the seller would sell the Rejuve was if my friend bought his entire collection. It was a very steep ask.

After negotiating for months my friend finally gave in and bought everything with the idea he'd simply sell most of it after the fact to recoup his costs. He lives in PA and the seller is in the UK.

The Rejuve'd A1K went into box #1. All the other stuff (Starboard, etc.) went into box #2.

Box #2 showed up. Box #1? Nobody knows. The box shows up as still en route even though box #1 arrived days ago and they were sent as a pair. This time the carrier was UPS.

Right now more than ever it seems the package carriers are incredibly unreliable as they are under historically significant strain. Every time we put something precious in the mail it feels like a game of Russian roulette.

And my "spare" Rejuve needs to go on 3 more journeys. One to me (which I'll get this week), then another to Germany, then ultimately its final voyage back home.

If the PALs get solved, if I lose it on leg three I won't fret too much since we'll have the blueprints to make more at that stage. But holy smoke.... watching the trip via tracking updates can give someone ulcers these days.

dalek
Australia

Posted Sun May 02, 2021 8:04 pm

I will never use UPS again. I lost a CDTV shipped from the Netherlands to Australia. UPS lost it in the U.S. :(

RetroAsylum

Posted Sun May 02, 2021 9:06 pm

It might be worth taking donations or something so you can send next day air so you KNOW it has better odds of reaching it's destination.

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Mon May 03, 2021 6:13 am

You're truly correct, regarding the safety and sanctity of shipping these days. I've had many such occurrences of packages simply disappearing, never to be seen again (somewhere in the system, and not due to porch pirates). And, in a lot of cases packages arriving looking like they've been drop-kicked the entire route.

Sorry, didn't mean to add to your anxiety, after just reading what I just typed, LOL. But, as suggested, sometimes it's worth paying the premium shipping costs just to ensure that anything priceless gets superior attention!

joethezombie
Twin Falls, ID

Posted Wed May 05, 2021 3:40 pm

Hey all, thanks so much for all the concern. It's been a troublesome year, and I apologize for not being very communicative.

The GitHub is up for anyone looking to contribute. It will be harder to continue without a working Rejuve, but I have a development path ahead I will keep working, with the true hope that our German counterparts can pull off some magic.

Rejuvenator on Github

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 05, 2021 6:21 pm

Locking this very long thread down. For all future updates in the near-term please go here.

Return to “Hardware”