nonarkitten

Posted Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:42 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:20 pm
Aren’t you describing the Phoenix board as a replacement/ successor to the a1000 board?

I wished someone would have started to update that to a 4-layer board, maybe adding a Buster. So that it can run more robust.

Put a decent accelerator in and you are in retro heaven ;) .
I would be totally open to the idea of an "open" Phoenix remake. It might actually be easier to do than the Rejuvenator since all it would really be is a 500+ in a different layout and we have plenty of schematics for that already.

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:00 pm

Plus, the GALs are available.....

nonarkitten

Posted Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:46 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:00 pm
Plus, the GALs are available.....
Absolutely. No "reverse engineering" required. Still, let's see if they can figure out the Rejuvenator as it does mean that more of my beloved Amiga 1000 remains original.

8bit-Dude

Posted Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:53 am

Hi guyz, I have just become aware of this awesome project.
I have an A1000 with Vampire 500 II+ and been depressingly waiting for Gold3 to get me some ChipRAM.
I wonder where this project is going in terms of production? Do you plan to fabricate them, or to release the designs?
Cheers, Tony

nonarkitten

Posted Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:07 am

8bit-Dude wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:53 am
Hi guyz, I have just become aware of this awesome project.
I have an A1000 with Vampire 500 II+ and been depressingly waiting for Gold3 to get me some ChipRAM.
I wonder where this project is going in terms of production? Do you plan to fabricate them, or to release the designs?
Cheers, Tony
My understanding is that they'll do a limited run of units after they can prove it works and then open the design. I'm hoping if they can't unlock the GAL chips that they could still open it up and let the community take a stab at it, but who knows.

GOLD3 was so unfair. It was a tease for the V4SA which was Gunnar's real focus. To get AGA to fit, the CPU had to be de-featured, removing the FPU and additional pipelines and even then, the Apollo AGA core lacks support for floppy drives, deinterlacing (and emits interlacing in a DANGEROUS pseudo progressive HDMI mode that can damage LCDs), productivity modes, has no real blitter and uses several 'kludges' to fake timing constraints to chip RAM because it does not at all conform to the classic cycle timing chart.

These aren't unsolvable, but it's unlikely that they'll really try. GOLD3 has been withering on the vine for a while now and when approached on IRC his first words will be "there's no room".

So yeah, the Rejuvenator or Phoenix is really the only solution if you want a 2MB Amiga 1000.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:39 pm

I want to give a mini update without giving out personal/private information.

But the lead dev (joethezombie) had some very sad and scary family issues to cope with this month - outside of the COVID19 nightmare we all find ourselves in. On top of that, his main cohort on the project's work has nearly doubled in demands and stress at his own job. And with the economy like it is, you do what you have to do to keep that job rolling, you know? So finding time to work on this has been virtually impossible lately.

However, to be clear:
The main dev's intention is to put all information and schematics out to open source.

And...

He thinks he can persuade the final equations out after he gets v2 of his reader built.

We've waited for decades. Patience shall bring us to that promised land. Hang in there, folks. They want it as bad as everyone else.

nonarkitten

Posted Thu May 07, 2020 9:56 am

intric8 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:39 pm
He thinks he can persuade the final equations out after he gets v2 of his reader built.

We've waited for decades. Patience shall bring us to that promised land. Hang in there, folks. They want it as bad as everyone else.
Given that the PALs will be the biggest headache, would it help to release the schematics and board files as at least they've been proven? Perhaps we can get some more eyes on this and figure out the equations in other ways.

walldog

Posted Sat May 09, 2020 9:24 am

Appreciate the effort you and your team placing on this Eric... Also best wishes for the person with family issues.

squareeyes

Posted Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:08 am

Hi folks,
Is there any update, am really looking forward to this coming out.

kneehighspy
usa

Posted Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:59 pm

hoping for the best for this project. 🙂

Return to “Hardware”