nullsleep

Posted Tue May 18, 2021 8:09 am

JoeUser wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:09 am
nullsleep wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:23 am
Note that amigaXfer uses serial, not parallel.
Oh, my bad, sorry. I meant serial, doh!
I sometimes say the opposite of what I mean, too. Fortunately, I don't do it in code... or at least, not as often :D

iljitsch

Posted Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:53 am

(First post here...)

This is so cool!

My A3000 and A1200 are in good condition and one can write floppies for the other (for the most part, these drives aren't getting any better and HD floppies aren't ideal) so personally I haven't really encountered a system that didn't have any way to boot into something that can talk to the rest of the world.

(However, the other day I decided to boot my A1200 into KS 1.3 and although that seems to work very well, that means no HDD and no expansion cards like PCMCIA networking...)

Question, though: can amigaXfer be used to install the OS on a harddisk? For instance, when the floppy drive doesn't work reliably?

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:09 pm

Welcome to your first post, then :) .

One question from my side first: did you really mean KS1.3?

iljitsch

Posted Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:50 pm

Yes, Kickstart 1.3! The reason for that is that after a decade or three, I've grown unhappy with the way OS 2.0 and later are displaying OS 1.x icons.

I've actually been working on a tool to convert various older types of icons to NewIcons in a away that shows them how they are supposed to look, but more about that later.

So in order to see those old icons in all their glory, I not only needed to boot WB 1.x but also KS 1.x. So I got SKick do load an A500 KS 1.3. That worked fine, but of course my A1200 now behaved like an A500, so the only way to load software was from DF0.

I actually have an internal Gotek floppy emulator in my A3000, so for that machine this wouldn't have been such a huge issue, but for the A1200 this was actually a somewhat painful experience.

But the 1.x icons showed in all their glory and that was what the whole thing was all about.

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:52 pm

What you could try is Remus.

http://www.doobreynet.co.uk/beta/

Grab the scsi.device from the 3.1 ROM and insert it into the 1.3 ROM.

You could try this ROM under (Win)UAE.

nullsleep

Posted Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:51 pm

iljitsch wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:53 am
Question, though: can amigaXfer be used to install the OS on a harddisk? For instance, when the floppy drive doesn't work reliably?
You'll need to at least be able to write to a floppy and boot it.

Technically, it is possible (with pyamigadebug, which is the library, also mine, that amigaXfer is a frontend for) to inject and run any code, but I haven't implemented user functionality directly helpful with your situation... yet.

Expect AmigaXfer to provide block-level access to hard disks sometime in the future.

Return to “Software”