pgovotsos

Posted Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:35 pm

I guess I should be a bit more specific about the memory. What you need to do will depend on the operating system used and whether you are using a DOS or Windows spreadsheet program.

First the easy one :) If you are using a Windows spreadsheet program on Windows 95+ you don't need to do anything special.

If you are using a Windows spreadsheet program compatible with Windows 3.x or a DOS spreadsheet program on Windows 3.x you don't need to do anything to the icon although there are some DOS related settings in Windows that need to be changed to use Expanded memory for DOS programs run under Windows. For the life of me, it's been so long, I can't remember the name of the program to run to change them. If you look at the settings related programs it should jump out at you. The main changes need to be made in the config.sys file. The exact syntax is going to depend on what memory manager software you use. The one included in MS-DOS 5+ will work but the ones in DR DOS (later Novell or Caldera) and PC DOS will free up more conventional memory which is always better. There are also third party memory managers that are even better than those. DR DOS is available for download for free now and is probably the best all around solution. If you are running Windows you probably have extended (sometimes called HIMEM or high memory depending on the memory manager used) enabled because Windows itself needs it. You need to add the switch to enable Expanded memory and the size to use to the line in config.sys.

If you are using a DOS spreadsheet program under some version of DOS you need to make the same changes to config.sys.

If running under Linux or MacOS, I can't give you specific directions since I haven't used them as much. In DOSbox there is probably settings in icon used to launch the program and the equivalent of config.sys. In WINE there is probably a setting to configure the memory settings for the program you are going to run. Again the thing to look for is Expanded memory.

Hope that is clearer and didn't just muddy the waters more :)

hishamk

Posted Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:28 am

A little bit of trivia on Final Calc. It was developed by Khalid Aldoseri from Bahrain.

Post Amiga he’s developed a few web projects, including kooora.com, a popular Middle Eastern football (soccer) site.

Return to “Software”