m0th

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:50 am

Just like the title says, I'm trying to install 3.1.4 on my Amiga 1000. I recently purchased an IDE to SD on eBay for real cheap.

However... being the amateur that I am I accidentally fried my daughter board not properly setting up the hardware the first time I went to install the workbench on the SD card.

In the attempt to prevent my spare parts being destroyed by my impatience, I was wondering if anyone could share on where or how to install the workbench. I have watched a few YouTube videos saying that you need to configure the drive with WinUEA but it doesn't exactly specify that with what I'm using.

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:29 am

You have 2mb ram in your A1000 for AOS 3.1.4? I dont immediately think of A1k's with 2mb ram :)

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:15 am

Looking at your other posts I am not fully sure how your A1000 is now set up.

That would help to give some guidance.

m0th

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:46 am

intric8 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:23 am
This might help.
Followed those instructions and was able to set up the SD in UAE. Though when booting up the A1000 the drive is not there. Going in the CLI and using "info" only the install disk is recognized.
BloodyCactus wrote: You have 2mb ram in your A1000 for AOS 3.1.4? I dont immediately think of A1k's with 2mb ram :)
Mine is running MKL's 8mb IDE :D
McTrinsic wrote: Looking at your other posts I am not fully sure how your A1000 is now set up.

That would help to give some guidance.
I'll take some pictures and attach them on the next post.

m0th

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:57 am

SD IDE connected to MKL's IDE per EzdineG on another thread.

Using the re-locator board I have the 3.1.4 rom and MKL both in their respective places. I'm using a 40 pin IDE cable to connect the two.

Something I noticed after the SD IDE arrived

The IDE is using a 39 (or 80) pins for the cable slot. Not sure if that makes a difference but I figured I would add that.

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:59 am

What I can’t see unfortunately is how much RAM you have.

3.1.4 will have issues with less than 2MB.

The missing pin is a feature, not a bug :). Seriously, you don’t need it.

m0th

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:41 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:59 am
What I can’t see unfortunately is how much RAM you have.

3.1.4 will have issues with less than 2MB.

The missing pin is a feature, not a bug :). Seriously, you don’t need it.
8MB of ram.

Well that's good to know! Would it be possible to install 3.1.4 without the softkick?

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:50 am

Been thinking about this.

So I assume you bought 3.1.4 on Disk only or did you also get 3.1.4 ROMs?
ROMs would be better as it would mean you have no need to softkick or do something similar.

The install could actually be somewhat tricky. Do you have a Workbench Disk that you can boot into? Or the 3.1.4 install floppy disk? If so just boot with your system to workbench. I am not sure if the 8MB are autoconfig. If they are autoconfig, all is fine. If not, you need to manually add the memory before installing on SD. Or you need to at least change something in your startup-sequence.

Anyways: if your physical ROM is an 1.x variant, the SD card wont boot with your adapter afair. Thats why we need to know what your ROM is.

Did you already follow the instruction on the link to set up the SD card via WinUAE?

m0th

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:07 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:50 am
Been thinking about this.

So I assume you bought 3.1.4 on Disk only or did you also get 3.1.4 ROMs?
ROMs would be better as it would mean you have no need to softkick or do something similar.

The install could actually be somewhat tricky. Do you have a Workbench Disk that you can boot into? Or the 3.1.4 install floppy disk? If so just boot with your system to workbench. I am not sure if the 8MB are autoconfig. If they are autoconfig, all is fine. If not, you need to manually add the memory before installing on SD. Or you need to at least change something in your startup-sequence.

Anyways: if your physical ROM is an 1.x variant, the SD card wont boot with your adapter afair. Thats why we need to know what your ROM is.

Did you already follow the instruction on the link to set up the SD card via WinUAE?
I have both the physical disks and the ROM's. It could be the MKL IDE that is causing the hangup... Though the Amiga is not recognizing the SD card. I have followed the instructions and installed WinUAE that intric8 provided.

How can you tell if the physical ROM is a 1.x variant?

Return to “Software”