fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:21 am

bwldrbst wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:07 am

In 2016 I decided it would be fun to try writing my own Dock and last year I finally managed to beat it into shape and release it on Aminet. It's called DockBot (http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/DockBot).

OK, now I have to have two machines with two docks...thanks Andrew... :D

bwldrbst

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:40 pm

fxgogo wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:21 am

OK, now I have to have two machines with two docks...thanks Andrew... :D
You're welcome! ;)

BatteMan
France

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:56 pm

First of all, thank you for this review and this nice piece of software, both very interesting and useful!

Now I have a "hard drive" on my 1000, I can play seriously with it and I installed some nice stuffs like this AmiDock! I like it, it's very simple and useful. But, I have a problem.
If I make a button for "Shell" or "NewShell" (CLI is nice but Shell is better!), AmiDock seems always "dead" after I hit this new button... noone of others buttons work and "save config" does not work anymore...

Have you the same behaviour ? Or maybe a trick to launch a Shell ;) (here, I launch CLI and type newshell, but I can do better, I'm sure ^^).

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:37 pm

@BatteMan

That is a very interesting situation you've discovered there.

I tried to follow your steps, and the further I went the more baffled I became. Even if you right-click on the Shell icon in Workbench, the path leads you to the CLI! But that's not really what it is. It's more a customized version of it, diving you a level deeper.

That being said, my AmiDock never locked up in any way. I simply got errors when trying to launch the Shell from the AmiDock. Totally weird!

BatteMan
France

Posted Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:17 pm

I've the same error if I try to launch SYS:NewShell from AmiDock so I launch C:NewShell (with the CLI option in AmiDock)... And voilà... AmiDock will be locked if I click on the NewShell button (but, a NewShell is open ^^)

And yes, Shell is more powerful than CLI (history of commands) but I'll take a look at KingCON (but not sure it's 1.3 compatible... After verification, it's 2.0+ only... I'll give a chance to Vinced 3.69 or WShell, 1.3 compatibles, even if I prefer KingCON).

BatteMan
France

Posted Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:30 pm

KingCON can't work on 1.3 so I tested and approved WShell ! And it's working with AmiDock so !
WShell 2.0 gives us : commands history, log, scrollbar, completion of file name (by default with ESC), hotkeys (F2 puts WShell in fullscreen), autocompletion of some commands (type "rename myfile" and WShell automagically writes "rename FROM myfile TO myfile"), etc.

It's a very incredible piece of software, made by William S. Hawes, giving a powerful Shell to our Workbench 1.3 and 2.0 !

Tarzin
Dunkirk / France

Posted Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:43 pm

Hi Batteman,

Very happy to see that you found a solution.
Your WB 1.3 is simple and beautifull, a pleasure to look! ;-)

walldog

Posted Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:29 am

I love this topic. This AmiDoc and thanks to AmigaLove tutorial are now a staple on my WB1.3 setup. Now I am also glad you all working topic of the shell now working. I thought I was the only one. I have just been using CLI but it doesnt give yo directory history etc. (at least not that I know of) like the shell dos.

Where do you get this "wshell"..?

Much appreciate!

BatteMan
France

Posted Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:53 pm

Yeah, it's very fun to do !

Another funny part : I' used an iMac G5 under MorphOS to create partition on the CF, to transfer files from internet to the CF of the 1000 and to write HFE files for the HxC (with the excellent and recent GoADF!). I'm a bit proud of it! ;)

For WShell, I can't remember but I think it was on the EAB server (or maybe TOSEC, on Archive.org). And there is a scan of the doc (almost 200 pages) on Bombjack Commodore website.

PM me if you can't find it.

walldog

Posted Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:41 pm

My Amidoc for anyone interested... Again would know nothing about this if not for Amiga Love...
Attachments
wb1.3.jpg

Return to “Software”