intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat May 02, 2020 1:50 pm

If it were me (which it is not) I'd put a non-data disk in your A500 first. Like, I'd put one of your software disks (e.g. Deluxe Paint) and see if it is even readable. If it spins up and seems fine, I'd be more comfortable trying to copy the data disks.

For your save disks, you could probably move the files right onto your hard drive at first organized in their own drawers (something tells me I'm the last person to tell you how to organize this!). At least then you'd have the data duplicated.

Or were you wanting to create complete ADF dupes of the disks in their entirety?

bwldrbst

Posted Sat May 02, 2020 6:08 pm

CptSparky wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:05 am
bwldrbst wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:40 pm
I've got a few of my old data disks (and some belonging to other people that I've picked up over the years). I wish I'd been better at backing up my stuff (mainly Blitz Basic code and DPaint pics) after I got an A1200 with a HD.

One day I decided to try out a BSD on a spare partition but, stupidly, didn't back everything up before installing it. During the install I typed in the the disk name instead of the partition name (like /dev/sda instead of /dev/sda2). The Amiga OS partition still booted but pretty much everything was corrupted.
Do you mean you installed BSD on your Amiga 1200? May I ask which year that was and if some BSD versions would still run today? A little googling only gave me about the time of 2005.
I think it was NetBSD and it would have been somewhere around 1995 to 1997. At the time my A1200 had a full 030 CPU.

NetBSD is still supported on Amigas today but I don't know what the user experience would be like.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Mon May 04, 2020 2:48 am

intric8 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:50 pm
If it were me (which it is not) I'd put a non-data disk in your A500 first. Like, I'd put one of your software disks (e.g. Deluxe Paint) and see if it is even readable. If it spins up and seems fine, I'd be more comfortable trying to copy the data disks.

For your save disks, you could probably move the files right onto your hard drive at first organized in their own drawers (something tells me I'm the last person to tell you how to organize this!). At least then you'd have the data duplicated.

Or were you wanting to create complete ADF dupes of the disks in their entirety?
Well, I did not think about creating ADFs at first, but it is an interesting option indeed. I'll try duplicating the Save Disk data first as you recommended. 8-)

Return to “Software”