intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:02 pm

@Batteman
I've been using SysInfo in 1.3 for ages. How reliable it is, who knows? But it's what we all go by. So there's that. ;)

Overmann

Posted Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:29 am

Hi all,
I'm back on the A1000, trying to solve this memory issue. It's a bit annoying to have 8mb of fast ram but still be unable to load software. It appears WB1.3 is eating up quite a bit of Chip Ram while loading. I've tried stripping away as much as possible, but honestly I have no idea what I'm doing with WB1.3. I'd love to be able to start Settlers etc. from workbench, but I've also seen people do clever stuff with the startup-sequence so that they get a requester before Workbench loads that allows loading games and programs before workbench. Does anyone know of a good guide or have any tips as to how to set up an A1000 perfectly?

I'm downloading snoopDOS to see if it gives any useful messages. I guess that should be my first stop as it's been suggested, but the memory consumption should probably be dealt with either way. I am using the startup-sequence that came on the 1.3 floppy. Perhaps that's a floppy SS, and it does something silly that it shouldn't do when on a HDD.

I have a friend coming over in a couple of weeks and I need for this A1000 to blow him away. He is of the impressions that it's some sort of 8-bit A500, and we can't have that! If anyone have suggestions for mindblowing software/games/demos to show the machine off that would be greaty appreciated as well

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:07 am

Well, to be honest back then the difference was more impressive because since then also the C64 was better understood and more optimized software came out.

So in retrospect it is hard to create the jaw-dropping effect.

What worked for me back then:
- Defender of the Crown
- walking cat demo
- juggler Demo
- picture of Pharao

On the topic of free ChipMem there is some software to help you there. Unfortunately I can’t say what you need with Kick 1.3.

Edit: you could start here:

http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/WBAllocFast

Cheers,
McT

Overmann

Posted Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:35 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:07 am

Cheers,
McT
Ohh, thanks! I had no idea such things existed! This is great!
When it comes to impressive:
I suppose if I manage to free up chip mem then almost all of the Amiga library becomes available. Atleast the classic A500 512chip+512fast games. Lots of impressive stuff there. Wouldn't even Theme Park, Syndicate and UFO: Enemy Unknown work? I assume that all games that work on A500 won't require 1mb of chip, so they should also work on an A1000 with 512kb chip and 8mb fast?

Stumpi
Germany

Posted Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:59 pm

For WHDLoad Games you can use "JST" instead of WHDLoad.
http://aminet.net/package/game/patch/jst
It runs perfect on my A1000 under Kick1.3 and 68000. Not all games, but a lot. Just change the tooltype of the game from WHDLoad to C:JST if JST installed in C:.

Overmann

Posted Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:31 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:07 am
On the topic of free ChipMem there is some software to help you there. Unfortunately I can’t say what you need with Kick 1.3.

Cheers,
McT
Are you sure WBAllocFast is intended to work with 1.3? I'm trying it now and only getting crashes. It says to start it before iprefs, but there is no iprefs in my startup-sequence.
That said I have four startupsequences. I just installed from floppy and have:
Startup-sequence
Which executes:
Startup-sequence.f
Which executes:
StartupII
WHICH EXECUTES:
USER-STARTUP.
Its a bit of a mess. Iprefs is nowhere to be found :P

Im pretty sure I'm Workbench 1.3'ing wrong, but I don't know what half of these 1.3 startup things do. I'fve spent all my time in 3.1 and I have to say it's pretty different. I did manage to get snoopDOS running but it gives no clue as to why Settlers isn't starting (95% of the time). It just notes that I started it and then that a "CD .../Settlers" after the program fails to load.

EDIT:
I've been playing around a bit more now, and several games that require 1mb ram run just fine. Colonization and Wonderland. Settlers appears to be a bit "difficult".

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:22 am

Well, obviously it doesn’t support 1.3 ;) .

Usually the requirement of Kick >2.0 or so are displayed. So maybe this needs maintenance for WBAllocFast.

Sorry if this created trouble on your side.

Overmann

Posted Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:22 am

I set the A1000 up yesterday and have been experimenting with it. The last couple of bootups have not registered any of my expanded memory. Just the 256kb on the motherboard. A couple of reboots has solved the issue until now but this time around It took 5-6 reboots for my 256kb expansion OR my 8mb fast ram (via the cpu-seocket expansion) to show up. A bit disconcerting.

Return to “Software”