ACLerok

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:56 pm

I can confirm I've gotten this to work on Windows 7 using Amiga Explorer and a USB -> 9 pin serial -> 25-pin adapter -> Amiga 2000 setup.

Transfer speeds are slow of course, but that's ok.

Here's the cable I purchased

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:59 pm

Very cool, ACLerok!

I, too, have since converted my null-modem cable to USB via adapter as well. I'd been pushing the 9-pin into my old Toughbook's serial port so many times I finally killed it. But the USB adapter works perfectly. Love it.

ACLerok

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:09 pm

I actually bought two cables, the USB -> 9-pin and also a 9-pin -> 25-pin. I have one old 500mhz Celeron machine currently running Linux that has a serial port on it and that's it. I wasn't sure which was going to work. I guess either way I'm set!

I've also managed to get my 2000 online-ish with that same nullmodem cable thru a raspberry pi. I want to do a write up on that once I get it fully working. Currently I have some issues with DNS so while I can connect via the ip address, there's no name resolution (yet).

leighb2282

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:38 pm

That is actually where I am at with using a null modem for PPP network connections! however, with this method you can actually use FTP to transfer files which I find more reliable to use versus catting data to the serial port on Linux.

I never could get DNS forwarding to work either :(
ACLerok wrote:I actually bought two cables, the USB -> 9-pin and also a 9-pin -> 25-pin. I have one old 500mhz Celeron machine currently running Linux that has a serial port on it and that's it. I wasn't sure which was going to work. I guess either way I'm set!

I've also managed to get my 2000 online-ish with that same nullmodem cable thru a raspberry pi. I want to do a write up on that once I get it fully working. Currently I have some issues with DNS so while I can connect via the ip address, there's no name resolution (yet).

ACLerok

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:52 pm

leighb2282 wrote:That is actually where I am at with using a null modem for PPP network connections! however, with this method you can actually use FTP to transfer files which I find more reliable to use versus catting data to the serial port on Linux.

I never could get DNS forwarding to work either :(
Yeah, I haven't even taken that cord out of the bag - instead I just used the USB cable with Windows. I had it more as a backup in case Windows acted goofy. I couldn't get the USB to Serial to work with OSX so I was concerned and didn't want to wait any longer ;)

I know what I need to do with the DNS forwarding, but I have some gremlins in the system and when I run the MiamiInit program it reboots my machine. It appears to be the only place I can input DNS settings because there's nothing in the Miami app itself. Once I can solve my rebooting issue (which I believe has something to do with MUI) I'll see what I can do and I'll report my findings.

leighb2282

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:48 pm

I used this USB > Serial adapter

And this DB9 > db25 cable also from amazon

I had success about 50% of the time catting files over serial using an arexx script I found but since using FTP to transfer files (using Miami deluxe as the TCP stack via PPP ) i've had 100% success with all files being usable between my Linux laptop and the A2000.

ACLerok

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:41 am

I think I got that same cable. I too use Amiga Explorer on my WIndows 7 machine and it works really well - it's just slow. I was also able to get it connected to the internet using a Raspberry PI and pppd. I have Miami running on my Amiga and it works, but beyond pinging google I haven't done much else. I went thru Aminet and grabbed AmFTP, AmIRC, and AWeb, but none of them work properly on my machine as I have a base 68k and even the 000 versions say they require a 020 or better.

Do you guys have any suggestions that work on a stock 68000 with 2.04 Kickstart and 4mb fast ram?

I'm going to make a video or at least a post describing what I did. I've been slacking on buying some video capture equipment though. Rather than use my phone camera I would like to do something with the actual output from the machine. I'm a complete video production newbie, so it'll be horrible :)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:36 am

Do you guys have any suggestions that work on a stock 68000 with 2.04 Kickstart and 4mb fast ram?
This is where I think I'm probably the weirdo in the group. All of my Amigas are "online" but I only use that kickass feature for telnetting into BBSes (which are still active; retro-computing/gaming nerds like us chatting about their gear and whatnot).

I have no desire to get my machines onto the internet. Most sites (besides this here lovely exception to the rule) aren't what I want to do with the Amigas. Other than hitting Aminet, I wouldn't want to bother. I kind of like keeping them "clean".

Now that being said, I've read about people taking the WiFi modems I use and calling them up to over 38K baud to browse and move files around on their home network. I'd be down for that. But I haven't looked into how to accomplish that yet.

The terminals I use today:
64 Door (for hitting PETSCII-based BBSes)
A-Talk III for ANSI, which I talk a about little more in depth about a bit over here.
And I've been using JRComm recently for a different project.
I'm also going to check out NComm later this week (which is 2.0+, and can be found here with a free public key here).

Honestly, I don't think you're missing out by not browsing the web, ACLerok. But there are a ton of fun things to do on the BBS side of things, and possible file sharing between machines. But that's just me.
a2000-bbs.png
Here's a pic I took 4 days ago with my A2000 "online" on my favorite BBS which is VERY active. Particles is run off a C128 and can handle 80 column mode.

phoenix-bbs.png
Here's a pic I took 2 nights ago hitting the same BBS on my A1000 Phoenix.

ACLerok

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:30 pm

When I say get on the web it's really a courtesy to myself to not have to shut the computer off to move the serial cable from the RPI to the Windows machine to get a package installed on my Amiga. I really only care about FTP (to get to Aminet or to a local FTP server hosting already downloaded programs), IRC, and getting on bbses. I'm not worried about getting on the internet to surf since I have some combination of computer, tablet, and phone by me at all times :). AWeb was to download files from Aminet before I learned they had an FTP site.

Your list of software is what I was looking for, and the worst part is that I know I've looked at those threads before. Thanks!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:41 pm

Very cool. I'll be curious to see how you put it all to use.

Return to “Software”