wubao

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:35 am

I have old floppy disks with Amiga-formatted IFF bitmap files on them, converted to MS-Dos format and saved onto my PC. The problem is that the PC is not able to read the IFF interweaved file format bitmap files, regardless of which modern software I use.

I was hoping to find someone who still has an active Amiga 500 or any Amiga computer that can take my Amiga 500 IFF bitmap file (saved with MS-Dos onto PC) and load it up on an Amiga 500 computer to see whether it can read the file.

The file is an image I drew dot by dot on the paint canvass in Amiga 500. It would be great to be able to view it, then save it once again into a format readable on modern PCs.

If anyone could help, I would be happy to leave my email, or add the file to this post.

Thanks

BatteMan
France

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:37 am

I can try to convert it for you, I can probably do it under MorphOS or on my A1000 (with one or another software).

My address : batteman at gmail dot com ;)

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:46 am

Anything particular why WinUAE can not be utilized here?

As I understand it, the files are available on a PC?

BatteMan
France

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:55 am

McTrinsic : Yes, it's definitively a better and faster solution ! I don't think about it 'cause I'm not a WinUAE user, but this is a great suggestion ;)

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:28 am

So you could just do this on your PC as well. There are some utilities that read IFF and can save out to another format. My favourite would be Irfanview. https://www.irfanview.com

GrafX, the bitmap painting program might do this as well, and you will have the added advantage of being able to continue painting in the old Deluxe Paint way. http://grafx2.chez.com/

wubao

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I did try a few different PC software options and online converters but none of them were able to recognize the file format.

I saved the files a decade ago using two floppy disk drives and MS-Dos converter on Amiga.

These days I used a Hex editor on the PC to work out the file format was IFF interweaved file format, which I know came from Amiga.

I tried WINUAE but I can't get it to work on my Windows version. Some DLL errors.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:56 pm

I think there migth be something unique with the conversion method you used or there is a corruption that has crept in. Even the format of the file from the Amiga was non standard.
I have used Irfanview to convert IFF files myself, and apart some aspect ratio issues, it worked well.
If you download the portable version of WinUAE, there is a single .exe file to click on, so that sort out the .DLL errors. Remember to go get the Amiga ROMS from Amiga forever as well.

wubao

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:00 pm

I ran the file through https://filext.com/file-extension/LBM to read its file extension. It came back with "Medievil is a ILBM (IFF ILBM bitmap (variant)) file. You could rename the file extension from MEDIEVIL to ILBM and then doubleclick it (or click here to learn more about that file type). "

BatteMan
France

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:26 pm

I tried to load it on my A1000 with DPaint III, DPaint IV and
FusionPaint. I tried on my 1200 with Multiview and I tried under
MorphOS with TVPaint, PPaint, PerfectPaint, no result...

With ShowCase, under MorphOS, I got a totally trashed image !

The hex header of the file is like an iff image but I can't load it...
strange. Maybe someone else here can do some magic 😉

wubao

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:42 pm

I added a link to the file named Medievil on Dropbox here

Return to “Software”