jrobbins70

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:32 pm

HI all. Long time Amiga owner.

Back in the day (1996) I made a DAT (DDS1) backup of my entire Amiga 4000 to a python archive DAT drive. I backed up everything twice: once using Quarterback 6 and once using Amiback 2.0i. I used two separate DAT tapes.

I have stored them properly over the years and now wish to restore to share with my son. I have the hardware working (Amiga 3000) but I have forgotten my backup password to each backup (assuming they are the same).

Does anyone know of a hacked version of these programs or a way around the password protection? Neither backup is encrypted and the drive can read the volume names etc so I assume other than the password it's ready to restore.

Thank you.

J

Christian

Posted Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:29 am

Maybe the password is stored in the archives in clear text? Can you try BTN, CPIO, dd or TAR to see if you can stream the archive into a file and then inspect the file using a monitor program. Presumably the password would be stored at the beginning of the archive.

jrobbins70

Posted Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:16 pm

I'm absolutely certain that the password is stored in plain text somewhere at the beginning of the tape. I recall using a password but no encryption, a fixed block size and hardware compression.

I have a DAT drive on my PC running windows. I have Z-Dbackup installed. I'm not sure if it can read raw tapes not formatted by it.

I recall seeing DD for windows a while back that supports tape drives.

Thanks for the info. I'll experiment.

J

Return to “Software”