acolic

Posted Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:39 pm

Hi,

I managed to get MUI moved over from my windows box to my Amiga 500.

I extracted the file and ran the installer.

Everything seemed to install fine but the wb looks exactly the same.

I did a file/open and select a few different premade prefs and still the WB looks the same.

My question is, once you install MUI is the WB supposed to change or is there an additional step I missed?

Thanks

Alex

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:05 pm

Hi Alex,

MUI, as I understand it, is more a Library that assists other programs.

So, for example, if you decided to install Magic Workbench, it would use MUI (the Magic User Interface) as a result.

Magic Workbench is likely the eye candy you crave.

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:28 am

MUI in itself does nothing.
It is a library for programs that use it. If they use it, MUI is required to run such a program.

The workbench is not skinnable if you were after that.

acolic

Posted Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:23 pm

Thanks

It’s been 25 years since I last used an Amiga so it’s still coming back to me.

So what’s the usual order?

Install MagicWB and then New Icons?

I see something called Glowicons?

Keeping in mind I am running WB 3.1.4.

Thanks for the advice.

Alex
McTrinsic wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:28 am
MUI in itself does nothing.
It is a library for programs that use it. If they use it, MUI is required to run such a program.

The workbench is not skinnable if you were after that.

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:39 pm

MagicWB is only an - admittedly good - script to replace the standard icons. And it adds a small program to make sure the colors are correctly set. There are other programs that do the same.

Glowicons is a different Standard that requires a bit more of change in the internals of the Workbench. With 3.1.4 it’s easier than it was before.

See here.

Cheers,
McT

acolic

Posted Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:48 pm

Ok

Getting closer. I followed the link and installed glowicons from the Storage disc. I saw a bunch of stuff moved over but after rebooting my computer the icons are the same.

Maybe this is resolution related. My resolution is SuperPlus: High Res Laced. 800 x 600 16 colors.

For fun I tried to install MagicWB2.1p. Once I start the installer a window opens up with this error:

Please change current directory to that of MagicWB
Or start the installation from the workbench.

The MagicWB Installer is in my Sys: directory.

Any next steps?

Appreciate the help.
McTrinsic wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:39 pm
MagicWB is only an - admittedly good - script to replace the standard icons. And it adds a small program to make sure the colors are correctly set. There are other programs that do the same.

Glowicons is a different Standard that requires a bit more of change in the internals of the Workbench. With 3.1.4 it’s easier than it was before.

See here.

Cheers,
McT

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:44 am

That’s sounds a bit weird.
If you followed the steps from the linked Blog you should have the same results.

Which ROM are you using? If you still have a physical 3.1 ROM there might be an issue with the loading of the new icon.library.

You might want to consider this replacement:
http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/IconLib_46.4
but make sure you fully understand how to install it (RTFM ;) ).

This should give you glowicons.

I am not sure about MagicWB, especially the 2.1p file. AFAIR this is the shareware-Version where all icons habe a disclaimer on them when clicked.

The big drawback of MagicWB is that it locks a very specific palette which may result in odd colours in some applications.

Plus, it installs this crappy palette-licking daemon and so on...

You should first fix the issue with the glowicons, imho. Did you check all prefs?? Maybe GlowIcons Support need be switched on?

Return to “Software”