MOS6569
Sweden

Posted Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:32 am

QMouse is wonderful! Can't see how I have managed not having it installed before :)

Love the keyboard shortcut for the Shell too! Great! And the Left Amiga + M... <3

nullsleep

Posted Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:41 pm

Just wanted to say... hippoplayer fuck yeah!

nullsleep

Posted Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:44 pm

Crispy wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:09 pm
I just discovered that Workbench 1.3 has a built-in tool that can be used to change the system-wide font. If you're like me, you've seen it a thousand times while editing the Startup-Sequence file, but never really paid any attention to it. In the stock configuration it looks like this:
Try the 'Pearl' 8x8 font if you have it. If you don't, I might be able to arrange things so that you do.

Crispy
Sunhillow

Posted Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:58 pm

nullsleep wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:44 pm
Crispy wrote:
I just discovered that Workbench 1.3 has a built-in tool that can be used to change the system-wide font. If you're like me, you've seen it a thousand times while editing the Startup-Sequence file, but never really paid any attention to it. In the stock configuration it looks like this:
Try the 'Pearl' 8x8 font if you have it. If you don't, I might be able to arrange things so that you do.
I do have the Pearl 8x8 font. Thanks for the suggestion; I'll take a look at it. I must say though, that I really, really like the "System" 8x8 font. It's one of the nicest I've seen. I'll have to do a side by side comparison between the two.

MattX
Stargard, Poland

Posted Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:00 am

Crispy wrote:
I need to download some 8 point fonts and check how they look in the Workbench. I always thought there's some external tool needed for this.

stevelord

Posted Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:06 am

MattX wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:00 am
I need to download some 8 point fonts and check how they look in the Workbench. I always thought there's some external tool needed for this.
I'm quite partial to Microknight and Pot-N00dle, which you might find around various PD tools disks. For some reason my 1.3 install doesn't have the same tool, leaving me with TurboTopaz from Fred Fish disk 396.

MattX
Stargard, Poland

Posted Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:04 am

This is my WB1.3 screen with armonk.font from Aminet. The font is supposed to emulate 70's style computer font.
Zrzut ekranu z 2021-11-04 10-59-44.png
Here's the font on the Aminet: https://aminet.net/search?query=armonk

slaine

Posted Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:06 pm

Hmmm, I would love to try Workbench with a classic MacOS Chicago style font. But I haven't found one for the Amiga. Does anyone have one or a link to one I just haven't found ?

gybrsh

Posted Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:59 pm

I hate to bloat my startup-sequence with tons of stuff.
But QMouse rocks. And its less than 4kb. :shock:

Gernot66

Posted Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:00 am

Crispy wrote:
I just discovered that Workbench 1.3 has a built-in tool that can be used to change the system-wide font.

Funny how it can take decades to discover such a function, true is i stumbled over this function of FF as well a few weeks ago but never was aware of it all the time. Didn't used it yet never ask why.

Lets's see if i can use it like the combination of CHFont and Setfont to have two different fonts, one for the icons which will be the default font which is not completely overridden by setfont and can be i.e. re-invoked for the shell when you use ConMan and the option "z" which becomes Handy if you like to display a message.
019.png
The WB font i use is "GROM" and it's a ripp of the GraphicROM font for the Intellivision, it would look best in non interlaced mode since the width fatness is double of height unfortunately this makes the font somewhat hard to read if set to fat. The text font which usually appears in the shell is WB7.

Short explanation of the many icon editing programs you see here, most i don't use anymore the most used is Doctor Icon which is the most handy to use with DPaint brushes also it exports slightly smaller in filesize icons as usual since it a) only saves one canvas for both images of an animated icon which differs much to the result of "icon merge" or similar programs which will save a canvas for both images b) additionally the canvas is reduced to an instruction of "width x height" instead to fill all with zeroes. Doctor Icon has only one drawback, the icons produced with it will be garbage when exportet to "C" (by any other program as Doctor Icon of course) or converted to an icon for wIconify. For this exclusive use i use either "Make Icon" which is almost the same as my scripted "Zap Icon" using several icon tools.

I guess wIconify is something i can post here since it is really a useful enhancement of WB1.3, it can iconify windows as the name suggests, iconify the shell or any output window, iconifies running programs and gives you public screen management under OS1.3. It's a beast to set up and a long way to create (convert) the icons for it but it's worth the effort. Until i only encountered one drawback and that is that it will double the settings window of DeliTracker of which one can't be closed afterwards any disabling of wIconify functions for DeliTracker even don't work (except to restrict iconifying the main program surface), usually any window or screen can be restricted by its name in the settings for wIconify / wIconsetter. In my humble opinion this is major to any runbar even if the function is a complete different one.
MyMenu therefore replacers a runbar completely and is far more OS1.3 style - i like pull down menus. What one can dislike is that you can't close a wIconscreen so easy from a script and you have to close the screens manually by selecting the menu position "close screen" (that is because as long anything is invoked from this screen it can't be closed and there is unfortunately no further close function in wIconify for this task to close a screen when you close the last task invoked on it. Using a command like "Close WB" will either close the Workbench screen or lock up the Workbench. "NewWB" can open as well a Workbench clone, but since it is a clone it is named "Workbench" and has n o explicit name but it can be closed from a script but "NeWB" has some strong drawbacks for me mostly that the frontmost screen is always the default WB and anything like WBPic or SimGen will be "confused" by it and display picture or change colors using setcolor on the top level screen just because it leaks of an explicit name).

The script "Float Dir" i will offer in my own thread "0x05A".
You for sure always missed the possibility to float a whole directory of icons.
The example will also show the handy batch-filerequester i finally found after a deep search and how to concatuate strings to an executable script to work around the leak of variable handling and missing backtabbing in OS1.3.
(except when you use ARP, but ARP has in my opinion to many differences to the standard OS1.3 that it isn't really handy if you like to be compatible with a standard OS1.3, some selected ARP tools and commands are really useful like the ARP List but even this has a drawback and i often have to use both the OS1.3 List and the ARP List, ARP LIst can format the output only in a very limited way the only accepted output is %S and it completely disregards stdin - but well concat it to a string and the problem of no stdin is solved)

What i miss is a good explanation of "Edit" (command line editor), edit is very powerful but it's somewhat lousy described and the examples i found in the web doesn't cover all what is possible with it.

Hacks, hacks and hacks on... some proggies need to be hacked because the authors had sometimes strange ideas how to use it, some need a simple hack to remove linefeed from the output instead to filter and filter and filter and even FILTER i had to hack to become really useful to remove 0x0A and to keep "umlauts" for me, what the heck was the idea to qualify characters only up to 0x7E "~" but not to remove the linefeed which is exactly what you expect of a filter?
The most easy and as well handy is to hack CD though it will write to stdout without LF and the same for TYPE to even write to stdout without LF just to get rid of the additional step "filter". Hacks are often easier to do as to alter and recompile the source if it's available at all.
(pretty the same under MS-DOS, i use a nice little program for DOS called "NSet" which can be used as a simple database tool, it does what you miss on your Amiga it will parse strings for you in a simple manner, but the original NSet has the fixed qualifier "space" which is stupid to have it fixed instead of an optional qualifier, this i simply replaced with semicolon which is far more useful as preset qualifier as "space". This program i really would like for the Amiga OS1.3 or higher because they leak of this handy function to parse strings in a comfortable way, it could be replaced with "edit", "bawk" or similar but all of them are anything else as comfortable. NSet does ony one thing: parse a string and write the result to stdout. Yes there are many proggies as well for MS-DOS which perform the same i.e. "strings" but strings again is like "edit" or "bawk" very flexible and not easy to use. NSet is what you will use most because it performs what you need and it performs only this task and doesn't has an additional eval function up to a useless 100st mouse blanker, but heck it can select a random line of a list this IS handy. Having NSet on my side i started even to create a ASCII header for RAW audio streams which doesn't only includes samplerate and bitdepth it also includes informations about the source, author, used authoring tools, default playback rate - note: "default", stereo, compression method, almost anything you can imagine, using NSet it is quite easy to create a database from it or vice versa to read back from the database all nicely seperated due to my hack by semicolons and keeps any "white space". Btw the "format" of the header is #LAYLA, my daughters name thus it is easy to recognize and absolutely unique. Though for the cracks here make me... make us an NSet for the Amiga with semicolon as default but to disable qualifier, add a couple of optional qualifiers such as "space" or "tab" and hash even to disable as the opposite to disregard comments or field descriptors or leave it completely up to the user which qualifier is meant for what but keep LF as hard coded qualifier to end always after reading of a line to prevent it from reading through the whole file if it's a binary and then go on parse, parse and parse whatever you like and create tons of databases :) )
Pardon me that was a bit off topic but one comes to the other - as usual (oder wie wir sagen ich komme immer vom Stöckchen aufs Hölzchen).

Return to “Software”