intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:51 pm

This has been bizarrely frustrating.

I went through the original DOC file line by line. They don't explicitly say, but I copied QMouse and its config file to my C directory.

I then added this to my startup sequence, based on the DOC's suggestions (I lobbed off the call to the config file for now, just trying to get the dang thing to load).
IMG_1312.jpg
For some reason, Workbench seems to simply ignore these statements. When I was launching the program (incorrectly) I could instantly see the mouse zoom and become more responsive, thus I knew it was working. Here - no dice.

It's worth noting to those reading this thread that QMouse is WAY more than just a mouse accelerator. It offers *tons* of additional functionality.

I'm not sure why I can't get it to run from the SS. I wonder if maybe WShell is somehow bumping heads with it.

I'm going to move all of this from SS to user-startup and see if that makes a difference, since a lot of the WShell stuff gets loaded over there. If that doesn't work - I'm probably going to give up for now. But man - sure wish I could figure it out. Sounds very cool. And I do love the accelerator.

If still no joy, I'll probably spelunker through the FF disks and find a nice accelerator on its own.

jdryyz

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:03 pm

Sorry you are having so much trouble! It works just fine for me. I have a very basic system at the moment.

I need to re-visit the acceleration feature. I remember using it in the past but do not recall if it helped me or not. The original tank mouse does need some "help" if you want it to work smoothly.

Also looking into tank mouse alternatives right now like the optical conversion you did. Acceleration probably won't be necessary if you already have greater resolution.
Last edited by jdryyz on Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:15 pm

Success!

Moving those declarations out of my SS and over to my User-startup worked!

Now I will disable one of my clocks. Very cool!! Thanks for the rec. Love the new mouse speed and other features.

IMG_1317.jpg

jdryyz

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:24 pm

Glad you like it!

I first used QMouse back in the late eighties. I even continued to use right up until I first got OS 3.1. It makes perfect sense to use it again now that I am dipping back into Workbench 1.3.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:10 am

K I love this new discovery I made. I found a Zoom gadget that adds itself to any window that can be resized. Click it and go full-screen. Click again to go back to its original size.
It's called Zoom-Daemon, FF #498

LocalH
Kingsport, TN

Posted Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:40 pm

I always liked to keep a boot disk around with NLDaemon from fish disk 497 and PBar from fish disk 396. I didn't run NLDaemon all the time because it puts black on color 3 instead of the usual WB1.x color 2, and sometimes that's an issue:
NLDaemon wrote:Notice that the relationship of colors 2 and 3 are reversed from the default Intuition settings; this has the advantage of making the gadget appear correctly even on one-bit-plane screens, and improves menu appearance.

Some programs that include color images in the menu strip assume that the menu strip background color is color 1 and so do not include an Image structure for the menu choice for color 1 (probably to save a little space). In this case, when the BlockPen is changed to 2, the menu color changes, so the choice for color 1 will be displayed in color 2. The menu will still function properly, but will be colored incorrectly. All the programs supplied with WB1.3 seem to work this way, in particular, Notepad and IconEd both demonstrate this difficulty.
The readme suggests 454 FFC 997 000 as the default palette, and it honestly looks pretty decent:

PBar is interesting because you can change the pattern to the right of the title in the titlebar, as well as the mask used for non-foreground windows. It works well with NLDaemon (and is also running in the above screenshot).

Edit: Zoom-Daemon is made by the same author as NLDaemon. In fact, if you install Zoom-Daemon first, NLDaemon includes an image for the gadget.

BatteMan
France

Posted Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:00 am

Oh, I love this thread ! <3

Here, I'm using SimGen to have a "background" on my 1.3.

And I installed Arexx from my 3.1 too, and it's working perfectly.

sikosis
Brisbane, Australia

Posted Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:14 pm

Nice ... yeh I'm looking for an updated shell that at least supports TAB autocomplete ... does WShell 2.0 do that?

BatteMan
France

Posted Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:43 am

sikosis wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:14 pm
Nice ... yeh I'm looking for an updated shell that at least supports TAB autocomplete ... does WShell 2.0 do that?
WShell includes FComp for autocomplete. And you can modify FComp for using tab instead of Esc (as describe in the first post of this thread : viewtopic.php?t=1429

Here, I'm using dmouse (with the same features) instead of QMouse, but I'll try Qmouse too ;)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:05 pm

I downloaded Fred Fish 1-1000 a few years back. And I use this site to read all of the contents in one gigantic page, which does make it easy to search for keywords across those disks.

A while back I asked members here if they thought there would be value in me creating a Fred Fish section of the site, much like macintosh garden, where folks could search and find software from the collection. The kinda luke warm response I got made me feel at the time it wouldn't be worth the investment.

There is an excellent and very thorough archive of all things Fred Fish here. However, if that's difficult for you to pull locally beyond clicking on one thing at a time, I could make my set available on Dropbox for anyone that would rather just drag and drop the whole thing.

Return to “Software”