intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat May 01, 2021 4:40 pm

TIL we can modify the order of our AmiDock icons!

I originally thought I could open the dock.config file as a text file and simply reorder the statements inside. That didn't work because the file is actually some sort of unreadable gobbledeegook.

So I went back to my original disk and poked around to see if there was any mention of this obvious feature we'd all want. Inside an Addendum readme in a changelog there was a short update where if we simply hold down the ALT key, then click the icon you want to move, then click the icon you want to swap it with. Voila! Good to go! (And remember to save the config when you're done.)

Demonstration:

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue May 11, 2021 9:48 am

Does anyone here have a full version of TxEd or TxEd Plus by Microsmiths? For an added bonus, does anyone have the manual for it?

Asking for a friend. ;)

TxEd-Ad.jpg
Advertisement of TxEd from a March 1986 issue of Amazing Computing.

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Tue May 11, 2021 11:18 am

I'm leaving town this evening, but when I return this weekend I'll scan through my recently acquired floppies and see if I don't possess a TxEd floppy in the bunch. I've got about a 500 disks to weed through, and there's no telling what's on them.

I'll put on my Indiana Jones fedora and see what I can dig up...

BatteMan
France

Posted Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:38 am

I don't know if it's TxEd you searched, but I found this on Powerstation Disk Utils 2.7 ;)

You can find the ADF and the executable (in the ADF, TxEd is the file named "7") in the zip file (compressed with the excellent RNOArchive ^^).
Attachments
Adf_and_TxEd.zip
(549.53 KiB)

slaine

Posted Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:46 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:16 pm
You could try the last version of DiskMaster II for Kick 1.3:

link removed due to 404
I don't suppose anyone has a copy of this file handy, the server hosting it doesn't seem to be up anymore ?

slaine

Posted Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:46 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:51 am
Archive.org to the rescue
d'oh, why didn't I think of that. I'm all there all the time but forgot the way back machine.
Thank you.

Wavemaker
Poland

Posted Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:23 am

Not really an enhancement but pretty cool nonetheless. The only demo to my knowledge that runs exclusively on Workbench 1.x, and I don´t mean that it requires this OS because of poor coding practice, but it literally runs on top of it. It's part of the Megalodemos megademo which runs off a bootable WB1.2 disk.

http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=74332

Also a musicdisk from the same Wild Copper crew and some pretty icons. Got to explore using dithering for mine:

http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=93046

If you like these visual gimmicks, there's plenty of so called "Workbench hacks" in the early Amiga Format coverdisks.

Crispy
Sunhillow

Posted Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:09 pm

I just discovered that Workbench 1.3 has a built-in tool that can be used to change the system-wide font. If you're like me, you've seen it a thousand times while editing the Startup-Sequence file, but never really paid any attention to it. In the stock configuration it looks like this:

Code: Select all

FF >NIL: -0

You can use it to customize your system by replacing the above line with:

Code: Select all

FF >NIL: xxxx.font
Once you do this, every program that uses the system-wide 80 column font will now use the font that you specified.

Here's my system with the standard Topaz 8 point font.

Now, here it is with the Clean 8 point font.

And finally, the System 8 point font, which is the one I've settled on.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:49 pm

OMG

:boing: <3 :boing: <3

Return to “Software”