intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:50 pm

@LeftoverBeefCake

To install Library, you have to create an assign for it, similar to this (you don't have to do the "IF" part - I just do that in an abundance of caution to protect myself from Future Dumb Me):
IMG_1993.jpg

If fact, if you ever install WordPerfect, you have to do the same thing for it as well. Otherwise, when you install to HDD when you launch the program it will ask for the floppy disk, which is massively annoying.

I put these in my User Startup file in the S drive, but they could be put in your SS or even a separate include for just this if you want. However you prefer!

LeftoverBeefcake

Posted Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:28 pm

An immense THANK YOU to you! I'll get cracking on this and post what I've found (I'll make a new topic as to not overflow this one). Wish me luck! :)

primitivefunction

Posted Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:33 am

So to this evening I compiled most of these (shareware/freeware) on to a single floppy for easier integration with my real Amiga(s). Happy to provide the ADF if it helps out anyone else (all c files and readmes fixed and working).

If you load up regular WB in df0, just stick this in df1 (or gotek) and everything should work without fuss.
utils.png

BatteMan
France

Posted Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:07 am

primitivefunction wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:33 am
So to this evening I compiled most of these (shareware/freeware) on to a single floppy for easier integration with my real Amiga(s). Happy to provide the ADF if it helps out anyone else (all c files and readmes fixed and working).
Eh, it's an excellent idea ! I have a save of my CF card but it could be nice to have an ADF with all include ;) So, count me in to download it if you release it ;)
Last edited by BatteMan on Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

primitivefunction

Posted Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:42 pm

Here you go: ADF is in the zip. Intric8, I hope you're okay with me putting this here?

In case anyone's wondering, BastyPlayer is a nice little .MOD player I discovered. It's run from the command line, is super lightweight and works great on 1.3. On a 512k machine I had a MOD playing in the background with ZoomDaemon and SimGen all happily coexisting. Highly recommended. And of course IconMaster is on there too. :)

BTW those Fred Fish disks are a goldmine of goodness, as are MAG PD disks, 17 Bit etc. If anyone's got the time (and curiosity) just download a bunch of them and start exploring them on your Amiga - I think Intric8's been banging on about this for a while now - the archaeological dig is an apt metaphor. It got me thinking - I reckon it would be great fun to launch a diskmag (ADF file), like the MAG disks or 17 Bit. Maybe once a month, it would contain a useful PD utility or two, perhaps a MOD file and some artwork/animation from current Amiga talents. Oh, and it would have to be self-booting and work on all Amigas (none of this AGA only rubbish :)). If anyone's interested in colloborating on something like this let me know.

LocalH
Kingsport, TN

Posted Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:37 pm

Here's a little treat - disk versions of Topaz from 1.3, 1.4, and 2.x/3.x (with the exception of Topaz 9 from 1.4, which I thought I saved out, but I guess I didn't - if anyone wants it, let me know and I'll go rip it).
topazcomp.png
1.4's font is an interesting hybrid between 1.3 and 2.x. It's not quite as rounded, but most (if not all) of the serifs are already gone. The font is similar, but not identical, to the sans-serif proportional font shipped with DPaintIV. I currently use it as my WB1.3 installation's default font, thanks to TurboTopaz from Fish 396 (which I use in place of the stock FastFonts, which has a bug under emulation when running at high CPU speeds without enabling blitter waiting, whereas TurboTopaz doesn't have this bug).
topaz14wb.png
The gauge on the left is MemGauge from Fish 222, written by Olaf Barthel (a name you may recognize as an AmigaOS developer nowadays). It does what it says on the tin. The FrozenFish "CD" is just a directory harddrive with the contents of the CD within, as I didn't want to have to muck with a CDFS for 1.3 in emulation. The other visible tweaks (NLDaemon, PBar) I've mentioned in a different post in a different 1.3 thread lol. This system also has WShell installed (as you can see), as well as ARP and ARexx.

The fonts are attached as Amiga-created LHA files stored within uncompressed ZIP files. Would be really nice if we could upload Amiga-specific file formats like LHA/LZH. Extract the LHAs into FONTS:, keeping folders as usual. Font names match the ZIP/LHA filenames.
Attachments
topaz2x.zip
(4.8 KiB)
topaz14.zip
(1.6 KiB)
topaz13.zip
(5.08 KiB)

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:18 am

Looking great. I really get the itching to try this all out. If only my Amiga was up and running.

The only thing I really miss in your screenshot is this distinctive blue/orange.

LocalH
Kingsport, TN

Posted Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:12 am

The orange (or one close to it) is actually present. I have my WB1.3 setup expanded to eight colors with WBplane from Fish 543, and using a tool called Screen Color Modifier from Fish 367 I load a previously created eight-color palette which happens to have a similar orange as color 7 (which, once AddWBplane runs, becomes the text cursor color):
wb13-8c.png
I really wanted two shades of blue along with the orange. Only issue now is that icons are generally mapped wrong because NLDaemon maps black and white differently than both 1.3 and 2.x. Considering looking for a general icon color remapping tool to fix that, if a good one exists.

lymanepp

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:26 pm

The developer Mr. Lyman Epp of Omaha, Nebraska, must have been terrified of screen burn when he wrote the program back in 1989

Interesting assumption, but you would be wrong. I am a command line user and the feature was designed to hide the cursor while I was typing at a command prompt.

I'm fascinated that anyone still cares almost 30 years later. :shock:

jdryyz

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:40 pm

Nice to hear from you, Mr. Epp! I too am fascinated that I have been revisiting Workbench 1.3 so much after all these years.

Any interest in updating QMouse to include an animated moire pattern screen saver option? Just thought I would ask. :D I haven't seen much in the way of Workbench 1.3 screen savers anywhere, probably due to OS 2.x and above providing built-in ones.

lymanepp wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:26 pm
The developer Mr. Lyman Epp of Omaha, Nebraska, must have been terrified of screen burn when he wrote the program back in 1989

Interesting assumption, but you would be wrong. I am a command line user and the feature was designed to hide the cursor while I was typing at a command prompt.

I'm fascinated that anyone still cares almost 30 years later. :shock:

Return to “Software”