JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:35 am

As I traverse the interwebs researching Amiga schtuff, I always keep an eye out for font collections and/or disks. There are some commercially-produced offerings still to be had (mostly on CD, but occasionally on floppy), but they're extremely rare. There are some public domain offerings to be had, but not many that I've found.

Has anyone come across a lode posted or hosted anywhere? It'd be really cool to have a "central repository" of Amiga fonts, as it seems to be hit-and-miss finding great fonts. Seems like a lot of the magazine disk collections might have them?

I do occasionally get lucky searching the Internet Archive. Here's a collection that someone created from the UK, way back when: https://archive.org/details/World_of_Fo ... rk_Lord_PD

As I surf and research, I'm also keeping an eye out for any font creator programs, as well. Any recommendations?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:40 am

Has anyone come across a lode posted or hosted anywhere?
Hm, honestly I haven't actively looked. But I have a box of publishing software that includes gobs of font disks. Many are of the Kara collection, which I do think may have been pressed to CDs somewhere. Mine are all disk based. Some are made for screen overlays via video editing/toaster stuff.

It's one of those things I hadn't deeply investigated as I hadn't run into a need as of yet. One of those billions of projects stacked up in that warehouse in Raiders of the Lost Ark, aka my brain.

I think if you knew of a font collection you were after, that'd be easier to hunt for rather than a site dedicated to hosting them.

At least for now...

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:07 am

Nah, not looking for a particular, specific font. I'll just keep collecting as I find them, I reckon. I totally forgot about Kara fonts, I think I have some of those on some disks I got in a purchased collection a while back (have to make it a point to do some inventorying this weekend). I think that I'll see about burning whatever I have to CD, for safekeeping.

You don't happen to know of a good font editor, do you? One that's worthy of purchasing or finding?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:16 am

I think I do indeed have one, if I didn't give it away. I'll try to look later tonight.

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:36 am

intric8 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:16 am
I think I do indeed have one, if I didn't give it away. I'll try to look later tonight.
Very cool, thanks! I'll do some online searching, as well. Just didn't know if there was one or two programs worth recommending.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:00 am

I am halfway through backing up my floppy disks, and I have a bunch of font disks in there. Happy to share them. Is there a place we should set up as a font repository? I have not looked on the EAB FTP yet.

Return to “Software”