toples50

Posted Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:29 am

Guys I want help.
I have the old A3000 with KS 1.4 and I want to install a new hard disk(old one is dead...) with Workbench 3.1.
In my previously hard disk I had WB 3.1 and running fine.
How can I install 3.1, any help?

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:00 am

Easiest way would be to softkick to 3.1. or newer.

Do you have an accelerator??

Warty

Posted Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:22 pm

So, I just went through this a month or so ago. Installed 3.0 and 1.4. I have since upgraded to 3.2 (and kept 1.4 of course). I'm using SCSI2SD mounted inside the A3000, in the video slot (nice 3d printing available for that; but there's also a nice frame that mounts a SCSI2SD in the traditional HD slot next to the PSU.

It is a bit easier with the SCSI2SD, because you can set up the drive the way you want it in FS-UAE, then write that out to the SD card, and bob's your uncle. But you can also start from scratch if you have to. Do you have a Gotek available?

Kind of what you want to end up with:
- 3.1/1.3 superkickstart floppy
- HD partitioned with "WB_2.x" (where you'll install 3.x), "WB_1.3", and "WORK". Those are partition names, and they must be exact. You can name the HDs something else once partitioned and formatted. If you are going to have an AMAX or ShapeShifter dedicated partition, now's the time to do that too.
- For 1.3, I'm using 34.20 for A3000 (the extras disk doesn't have AmigaBasic). The only real customization I had to do was to track down the version of the clock utility that supports the A3000 clock.

Good place to start here.

Let us know how it goes. Will help if you need it.

toples50

Posted Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:59 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:00 am
Easiest way would be to softkick to 3.1. or newer.

Do you have an accelerator??

No I have the standard 25MHz A3000

Warty

Posted Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:48 pm

If you are planning to use a SCSI2SD, one of us could probably just share a configured HD image with you, and you could write that to SD from your Mac or PC. That's definitely the easiest way. You could also configure an HD in FS-UAE the way you want it to be, write that out to SD. You need to build the RBtool thing on your Mac or linux for that (might be a windows download? not sure). I could find a link if you want, and provide some command lines to get that done.

If you are going to use a spinny disk though, you'll need to have good floppies (or Gotek floppy images) for 3.1, and do it the hard way.

Return to “Software”