intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:11 pm

Our good friend Crispy was going through some of his old Zip Disks with gobs of BBS downloads recently and came across some utter gems that don't seem to be anywhere. (Yet.) These were pulled down in the 1989 timeframe - the year I graduated high school (gasp!) - off the "Instant Guru BBS." What a great name!

First up is a fun movie made by Leo Martin of Tampa, Florida, back in ~1989 or thereabouts.

It is called Busy Bee.

Fun facts found in the Read Me doc that comes in the package:
  • The animation is 75 frames long.
  • The bee actually doesn't move except for his wings. The "Observer" (today typically referred to as a Camera) is what is actually animated. As it flies around the scene it gives the impression the bee is flying around. It is, in fact, completely stationary and frozen in space.
  • Back in the day, this animation took a bit less than 2 days to render. :D
Go ahead and grab it for yourself. It will also be posted to Aminet in the very near future.
busybee.zip
Download Busy Bee
(453.26 KiB)

blakespot

Posted Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:17 pm

When I extract this it presents an .arc file. PeaZip on Win wants a password. I assume this is not needed in an Amiga ARC util. Can you point to one on AmiNet that will extract that ARC on WB 1.3? I'm overloaded with options looking there. You also mentioned some other anims. Are they somewhere online?

Thanks.

bp

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:09 am

@blakespot on your Mac, you can extract the arc using "The Unarchiver". That program handles arc's just fine. Then, you can move stuff over as you normally would.

blakespot

Posted Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:15 pm

Thanks. I do most file moves from net to Amiga thru Parceiro using the Win PC because it has a SD card reader hanging off of it. :-) That worked great.

You mentioned in the tweet, I think, that there were some other anims you came across at the same time, no? Are they somewhere to be found? Thanks.

bp

Geezer

Posted Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:09 pm

intric8 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:11 pm
Our good friend Crispy was going through some of his old Zip Disks with gobs of BBS downloads recently and came across some utter gems that don't seem to be anywhere. (Yet.) These were pulled down in the 1989 timeframe - the year I graduated high school (gasp!) - off the "Instant Guru BBS." What a great name!
Out of the blue I got a Steam mention from someone named Crispy. He somehow tracked down that I might have been the person responsible for "Instant Guru BBS". Well, I was! Unfortunately, I no longer have any of that great Amiga software from back then. Great times though!

-Geezer aka 'Al'

Return to “Software”