sikosis
Brisbane, Australia

Posted Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:02 pm

Just wondering if someone can shine some light on this ... here are 4 screenshots using the following modes:-

PAL: Hi-res and Laced
a4000-crop-2108311551-02.png
a4000-crop-2108311552-01.png
PAL: Super Hi-res and Laced
a4000-crop-2108311552-02.png
a4000-crop-2108311552-03.png
Only the PAL: Hi-res one looks alright, the rest do not. I figured I must be doing something wrong.

Any ideas?

iljitsch

Posted Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:28 pm

What is the problem?

sikosis
Brisbane, Australia

Posted Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:03 pm

Well the resolution of all of them except for PAL: Hi-res one are skewed to point of being unusable. I was just curious if I'm doing something wrong or are those other resolutions pointless?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:20 pm

I think it depends on the monitor(s) you decide to pair with it.

I typically will pick resolutions that fit my monitor perfectly and play nice with the software at hand, thus I always use 4:3 monitors. And yeah, it makes some of the selections kind of silly looking IMO, so I pass those ones right on by. But depending on the monitor options sometimes you can modify the picture to be more proportional - all depends on what you want to do and the hardware at your disposal, I think.

iljitsch

Posted Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:09 am

Skewed?

After looking at the first one, the second one looks a bit compressed vertically. But that's just the way things look on the Amiga: the Topaz 8 font is very boxy (maybe even 8x8 pixels?) and that doesn't look natural these days with much better typography on modern computers.

You can change fonts for the Workbench and the system default font, but that's probably not going to make a huge difference unless you want to use fairly large fonts but that is of course also problematic.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:01 pm

I use the first two modes a lot and they look fine to me. Actually the interlaced screen is what I used most of the time and is bang on. The last two I have experimented with but never liked. Why would on want such a high horizontal resolution and then have a quarter of that resolution vertically? I also did not like the way it stretched the icons vertically.

Return to “Software”