stevelord

Posted Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:02 pm

Hi all,

I'm building a CDTV setup with a hard disk, RAM expansions and whatnot. So far it's really amazing, an incredible and beautiful 1.3 experience. I have a 20mb boot drive and a couple of 1Mb PFS3 drives configured on a SCSI2SD thanks to the excellent pfs3aio. Unfortunately the PFS3 tools on aminet appear to dislike 1.3 and I'm stuck with short-ish filenames. Is there any way I can get some form of setfnsize program to work on 1.3? I don't have another SCSI device set up to use with the SCSI2SD and WinUAE's CDTV SCSI support has been really unstable.

stevelord

Posted Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:40 pm

In answer to my own question, Thomas Rapp kindly put together a tool called setpfs that allows the file length to be set so we can enjoy 107 character filenames on 1.3!

I used HDToolBox from the A590 disk to set up an initial partition on a SCSI2SD v6 unit. I added the l:pfs3aio filesystem, went to use and configured the partition at 1Gb. After saving and rebooting I opened HDInstTools, made sure the filesystem was correctly configured and fine tuned it with 300 buffers and 1024k blocks. Finally I did a quick format from within HDInstTools.

Once everything was done and rebooted, I opened up WShell and entered the following to set the filename length:

Code: Select all

setpfs DRIVE DH2: SETFNSIZE 102
This lets us use up to 102 character length filenames with 5 characters left for .info files. I haven't tested it extensively yet. The only reason for such long file names is for TOSEC ADFs, but it's nice to have. One point - most software probably won't support filenames that are 107 characters long in dialogs. I haven't tested requesters but don't be surprised if there's a few bugs.

Return to “Software”