vfx_geek
Poland

Posted Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:38 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to import some graphics that I've created in Photoshop. I'm setting it to indexed colors and saving as iff. But on Amiga when I open it in DPaint or Brilliance the amount of colors is doubled - so a 32 colors image is opened as 64, and 64 colors as 128, and so on. Also the colors look different than the palette set in Photoshop.
What am I doing wrong ?

Cheers,
Lukas

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:32 am

I feel your pain.

Can you attach your original artwork here for me to see? I can go through the process and then explain to you after how I did it.

I've done this a few times and it can be tricky.

By the way - do you have a copy of Art Department Pro? You should get ahold of that program. Janky assed UI, but it can help you convert JPGs to IFFs on the Amiga side, which is pretty cool. A lot of times it will convert them to HAM mode, but it's fun to play around with.

Anyway, attach your file here if you can or DM me and I'll go through it step by step.

Mixel

Posted Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:23 pm

Ohh, another thing - Are you loading it into an AGA or ECS/OCS Amiga? Unless you’ve limited the bit depth in photoshop when you were painting (?) it, it’s possibly your colours are outside of the 4096 available for ECS, and a lot of colours can go quite spectacularly weird looking, as 4096 isn’t enough for a lot of smooth gradients. :?

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:32 pm

I would second ADPro. I like to send my images from the modern world into the Amiga as TIFF format. It is a solid professional format that has support for CMYK, RGB, compression (lzw) and the Amiga supported it through applications like ADPro. I don’t trust the Photoshop IFF format anymore. It is really old and I think the format got tweaked when Maya co-opted the IFF format. I also would not use JPG as it is lossy and does have colour fluctuations.

Mixel

Posted Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:21 pm

^ That’s interesting all this talk of Adpro, I’ve never tried it but seen Doug mention it.. it looks really powerful, if strange! :)

My Amiga/PC workflow uses PNG from Aseprite to PPaint over on the Amiga, or GrafX2 or Promotion on the PC side to save iffs there if I need to dave the iff out at that side.

To view IFFs on Windows I use Irfanview and on MacOS I use GraphicConverter .. :)

Generally I don’t need to move much between them in Amiga formats though outside of the art contests etc… Scorpion Engine 100% relies on PNGs and converts it all to iff(or whatever it uses internally?) for you.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:58 am

That is a great workflow Mixel. Never used Aseprite or ProMotion, but looking for an excuse. GrafX2 has has a short play and definitely looks to be very flexible. Snap, I also use Irfanview and use it to convert my IFF's to PNG's.

Thinking about sprites and gaming assets, it would be good to get your take on ADPro. I generally use it for video or stills work.

vfx_geek
Poland

Posted Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:02 am

I've used GrafX2, after Mixel's suggestion, and that solved the problem for me. I could set my palette properly there, and save as iff.

Return to “Software”