MattX
Stargard, Poland

Posted Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:22 am

Hi, Everyone. :boing: <3

Could you recommend some alternatives for DirectoryOpus? I know DiskMaster and I'm pretty sure there are more, but they were pushed away by mighty DOpus.

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:35 am

DosControl! DOSControl!! DosControl!

Did I mention DosControl? 😆

If you have MUI, I really really like RO.

MattX
Stargard, Poland

Posted Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:11 am

I've found DOSControl in the Archive.org TOSEC collection, but all the versions are in German... :( The program looks really nice TBH.

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:17 am

Sorry for that. I could have sworn it is also available in English …

stevelord

Posted Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:43 pm

DirWork is fairly fast. DiskMaster is also quite good.

nullsleep

Posted Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:57 pm

CLIMate!

Warning: Ancient. Will create .fastdir files everywhere if you let it.

But that's one I remember, that works with 1.2/1.3.

MattX
Stargard, Poland

Posted Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:13 pm

Thanks guys. I will try your recommends later today.

Could you tell me something about these .fastdir files? Are they made to speed up loading of the folder contents? Do they work for Workbench windows or only for the CLIMate?

nullsleep

Posted Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:53 am

MattX wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:13 pm
Thanks guys. I will try your recommends later today.

Could you tell me something about these .fastdir files? Are they made to speed up loading of the folder contents? Do they work for Workbench windows or only for the CLIMate?
They are a cache of the directory listing, and AIUI it's only used by CLIMate. There's a very visible toggle for that in its main screen. Just don't set to on.

Note CLIMate is ancient and dated, but it was the first 2panel management program I ever used.

MattX
Stargard, Poland

Posted Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:37 am

Even if it's dated I wonder why C= didn't include a basic file manager app with Workbench. Working with files and folders without the .info icon file was only possible through CLI back then. Even a FM with only copy, move, delete, addicon functions would be a really useful thing to have back then. :idea:

Hey! I'm just playing with CLImate and version 1.201 has the fastdir on/off button (only visible improvement over version 1.2). Actually the .fastdir feature is really nice when operating on floppies. The program don't have to scan the disk every time to load the files. The program looks really funky. It's kind of limited when it comes to functions and it's text reader can't be scrolled up. :lol: And it's a NTSC program, so PAL pals ;) (like me) have a lot of empty space in the bottom which could be used for the bigger workspace. But as an early file manager it had to be very cool.

I've found another DOpus alternative called FileMaster and some dude on EAB provided link for an archive with all the versions in of it in .adf, so I got new stuff to check out.

This is the direct link for the archive I mentioned above for people who would like to check out FileMaster:
https://mega.nz/folder/GOA0mDgR#UoAa7_7ymHe34-zjOXvL6A

And the forum thread on EAB: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=104308&page=2

EDIT:

DirWork seems nice but it's another NTSC program.

FileMaster really starts from version 2.0. The 1.x seem to get messed up in the FS-UAE emulator: buttons are somehow smeared to the right. The 2.0 uses the 2.0+ color palette that can be changed for whatever you like which is nice. (I think that every gui program should have it's own palette options. Because in some cases default/Workbench colors can give you Rami Malek's pissed off eyes :shock: ) Other 2.x versions seem to have palette settings options removed (Why!? :? ) The 3.0+ versions are made for 3.x Amigas and they are more like DOpus when it comes to amount of configuration options. The disks 3.0+ are seen as N:DOS in WB1.3 (I don't know why? It's probably some file system stuff going on in there).

For now my favourites are CLImate (as an early useful FM) and FileMaster 2.0 (Not overly sophisticated and has palette options. What I like about this program is that is just a program and .info icon, no additonal files needed, so you can just copy it to your HD and use it).

BatteMan
France

Posted Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:57 am

Here, I'm a huge fan of ClassAction 3.6 (a Salim Gasmi software) : http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/CA36

Next versions, made by another developer, are different and not in my mood.

If you like it, you can grab a free key on the website of Salim : https://www.gasmi.net/progs.php (and you can send him a little message ^^).

Return to “Software”