Frobozz
USA

Posted Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:09 pm

Ok, I managed to figure out FS-UAE and installed a basic hard drive image running 3.1 onto a CF card. It even boots up my A1200, so yeah, wonderful. I'm in the midst of creating an updated hard drive image with all the hard drive-installable software I have added to it (using ADFs since my floppy drives are apparently DOA). However, there's a bunch of stuff I'd gotten from Aminet back in the day I'd like to install, too, and that means uncompressing lha files, meaning obviously I've got to get Lharc installed on the hard drive, too.

Can somebody advise this clueless newbie how to get Lharc added? There's an "lha.run" file on Aminet that I would think is the uncompressed executable -- if I'm right about that, where do I install it on the system disk? If I'm wrong, well, what should I do instead?

stevelord

Posted Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:16 pm

You just put it somewhere (ram: maybe?) and run it. It's a self-extracting archive with different versions of LHA optimised for different CPUs. I can't remember whether or not it's supported on 1.3, but give it a try. If that doesn't work, have a look at https://www.amiga-stuff.com/pd/fish.html for a compatible lharc version from the fred fish library - the newer the better.

Frobozz
USA

Posted Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:02 pm

Thanks for the link -- that's another one added to my Amiga bookmarks! Ironically enough, I also found a post here by intric8 about old DevWare disks he found, and I downloaded the ADF of compression tools he included which had Lharc. Looks like I can run it from anywhere on my drive.

I haven't uncompressed LHAs since 1997, but it's starting to come back to me. Just have to retrain my CLI muscle memory, and I should be all set.

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:32 pm

The resulting lha file should be put in c: so that you can access it from everywhere. C: is a standard path.

Most file managers can be set to use it from there automatically.

Frobozz
USA

Posted Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:35 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:32 pm
The resulting lha file should be put in c: so that you can access it from everywhere.
Ah, that did the trick, thanks! I vaguely recall using lharc like that back in the day, but couldn't remember where the executable was stored.

Return to “Software”