Captain Rufus

Posted Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:20 am

Ok so I was mucking about with pal convertor type programs plus Degrader.
Workbench starts locking up during boot. Try some other autoboot stuff which works. Pop a 1.3 adf. It starts doing the same. An Amiga Format adf that boots into wb now stops.

Curious I take the GVP off and try booting the 1.3. Same thing. But then I load a 1.2 wb. Works. Hm.

So I put a clean wb 1.3 image from Amiga Forever Essentials and it works.

Am I looking at a virus issue? Degrader 1.0 or 1.1 hard writing itself stupid onto my hd and other disks with Wb loading that now for some reason want to do whatever it did?

Is there a way to fix it other than a complete rewipe of the hd?

Captain Rufus

Posted Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:22 am

Oh yeah. Issue persistent after hard turn off. I'm suspecting its Degrader 1 or 1.1 playing hardball and whatever option I picked its just trying to spread.

Crispy
Sunhillow

Posted Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:39 pm

Probably the first place to start is to find where it's locking up. You could try editing your s:Startup-Sequence file, and place some echo statements that will act as markers to tell you how far into the Startup-Sequence script it gets before the machine locks up.

You can also compare all the files from a pristine Workbench floppy against those on the hard drive. A good tool for doing that is CMP from ARP 1.3. This will only tell you if any of the standard Workbench files have been altered. You will have to find another means or checking the rest of the files.

Of course, you can also try a virus checker. There are some on Aminet, but I'm not sure if any of them run under 1.3.

Captain Rufus

Posted Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:24 am

I might look into that. But the Hd is persnickety if I ever remove it so first I gotta see about reconnecting it to the 500. If it does I might just format the drive up fresh anyhow. There isn't anything really on it that matters. Did some contacts cleaning so let's see. That way once it does connect up I can have it all fresh and go from there.

Captain Rufus

Posted Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:02 am

With some deoxit drive is working again albeit possibly not autobooting. (I needed left mouse to make it happy at all.) I'm using Fastprep to reformat it. It probably needs it anyhow. For its old and probably full of doofy crap and was a lower WB 1.3 anyway.

For anyone using Degrader 1 n 1.1 be very careful with both selections and maybe avoid 512k Chip. Just go reboot once and No Fastmem.

Long term i'm debating putting either an SD2SCSI in it since they are like 50 bux or so for 5.1-2s or just going to pop in a Terrible Fire plus 3.2 for quiet and speed and desk space. (And a lot of money.)

Return to “Software”