marcfrick2112

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:57 pm

Hello all,

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find an answer. What is the biggest hard drive that can be used under OS 3.2? What about partition size? For example, could a 1TB drive be used? I know it's overkill on a miggy, but I was imagining all important software, ISO's, music, etc. on one drive.

Marc

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:24 am

Please be aware that this not necessarily a topic of the OS, but needs to consider the hardware and filesystem.

So the device driver might be a limiting factor here. I don’t know e.g. what a Buddha can manage.

As for the filesystem, you can always use PFS3AIO from Aminet which has experimental support for 128TB iirc.

Both filesystem and driver („scsi.device“) need to support the setup.

That said, you wouldn’t be happy. Please be aware that a partition needs buffers that are depending on the partition size. The buffers ear RAM, of course.

So you would probably be better off creating smaller partition. Something cute like 128GB :D.

In case you have got an Amiga with access to the mass storage, you can also use FAT or even NTFS filesystems. Like being able to access a CF card from the outside. Just switch the Amiga off prior to removal. If FAT or NTFS formatted, you can easily add files from the PC.

Or you jump to SMBFS for networked Amigas.

marcfrick2112

Posted Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:51 am

Ugh, I had no idea it would be so complicated.... Thanks for the info!

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:12 am

Hi,
what kind of setup did you actually choose? Filesystem?

Return to “Software”