The Last Coder

Posted Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:19 pm

Hi Everyone,

After a tonne of other stuff taking precedence, I'm intending to get my piStorm working on my A1000 some time soon, and as I'm still time limited, I was wondering if it would be worth investing in some of the ready made distros that I've seen out there.

Has anyone had any luck with them?

I was thinking of getting a Caffeine OS with Emu68 as Chris Edwards mentioned on his channel recently.
https://youtu.be/tw6IG1cOxWc?t=964

There's also a Russian guy selling a lot of ready made distros out there.

Yes, I also know I'm going to have some compatibility problems with only 512k of chipram.

The Last Coder

Posted Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:39 am

I have my pistorm and Caffeine OS working on my old A1000.
I am displaying RTG on another monitor, so it shouldn't use any chip ram, right?
My Gotek is pointed to KickStart 1.3 but I doubt it's what is getting loaded as it launches straight into the OS (blisteringly fast).

Now for the problem....
WHDLoad does run some games, but it won't run Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 (which is my son's favourite Amiga game)

I have a Gotek so this doesn't bother me much as I used to be able to load Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 from my Gotek after Kickstart 1.3 was loaded.
However, if I select the disk via the Gotek and soft reboot it attempts to load the game but doesn't get past a preliminary title screen.

Any ideas as to why?

Could this be an issue with AROS Rom compatibility which I assume Caffeine OS is using?
Could this be a disk timing issue with the faster CPU?
Could this be an issue with Emu68, and the other Mushashi(?) core might work?

I followed instructions to create an sdcard with a nightly of emu68 with a Kickstart 1.3 rom on it, but it doesn't seem to boot at all.
I thought if it did, I could get one of those SD card extenders and change it as needed without having to open the machine.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Software”