Lonnie

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:03 pm

Hi all 🖐
I am new to this forum, and new to the Amiga. I recently received 2 Amiga 500's, one with a Gotek installed inside, and one with a physical drive. I'm starting with the Gotek, since I don't have any hard disks right now. I downloaded Workbench 1.3 and I'm learning my way around the Amiga, but I quickly realized that I need some blank disks. Could someone please point me in the right direction as to where to find a good program to make disk images for the Amiga? I'm also looking for a good site to download some games, utilities, and other software. Any input at all will be appreciated.

Thank you 🙂

Crispy
Sunhillow

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:24 am

There are several ways to accomplish what you're trying to do. Being that I prefer doing most things from the command line, I'll outline the steps you can take by working in the Amiga 1.3 shell.

First, plug your Gotek SD card into your PC, and make a duplicate of any ADF file on the SD card.

Next, boot the Amiga from the Gotek, open the Workbench disk, and then double-click the 'Shell' icon. The Amiga will need access to the 'Format' and 'Install' commands when the Workbench disk is not inserted, so you can copy them to the RAM disk, and run them from there. Enter the following commands:

copy SYS:System/Format RAM:
copy C:Install RAM:
cd RAM:

At this point you will change the disk image in the Gotek to the one that you want to turn into a blank disk, and then format it with the following command (change 'DiskName' to whatever you like):

Format drive DF0: name DiskName noicons

If you want to include spaces in the disk name, then surround it with quotes.

Format drive DF0: name "Disk Name" noicons

Formatting a disk will completely erase everything on it, and that includes the boot block. If you want to be able to boot the Amiga from the floppy disk you just formatted then you must write a boot block to it using the 'Install' command.

Install DF0:

That's all there is to it. Now you can plug the SD card back into your PC, and duplicate the freshly formatted ADF file to create as many blank disk images as you need.
Last edited by Crispy on Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crispy
Sunhillow

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:02 am

Of course if you want to skip all the fun, then you can simply download some ready made blank disks from Aminet.

Return to “Software”