intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:09 pm

Since you don't have an A-Max hard drive partition, there's probably no point going beyond the system boot disk for you at this stage.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:11 pm

Just one last warning, if you decide to go the software-only route (probably have no choice) if you have a System disk loaded after booting up then decide to slap in, say, Mac Paint - you might have to swap disks every 2 seconds about 50 times before Mac Paint loads. It can be brutal. HDD FTW :ugeek:

abraxxious

Posted Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:39 pm

Thanks again intric8!

So, if I am understanding this correctly, Amax is capable of booting System 6 off Amax converted disk images?

So by using Img2Amax I could image a set of Mac System 6 disks 9for instance) to something that I could then load in to Amax to boot to a Mac OS 6 desktop, albeit slowly?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:40 pm

So, if I am understanding this correctly, Amax is capable of booting System 6 off Amax converted disk images?
Yes. You either boot off original Mac disks via a Mac floppy drive, or A-Max format disks that were originally Mac images and converted. (Or a hard drive partition, which we've already gone over.)

Worth noting that when you boot A-Max up into System 6, you're really looking at 1 computer at that point - a Mac. You can't see your Amiga drives, in other words. And, since you don't have a Mac floppy drive, you'll only be able to see A-max format disks. Which means, at least at first, only the System 6 ... system.

The A-Max II Plus (Zorro) card allows you to read and write native format Mac disks on your Amiga, but of course that requires a big box Amiga with Zorro slots.

When running A-Max 2.5x, you can specify one of your Amiga partitions as a transfer partition. You use the A-Max Transfer utility to copy files between the two.

But yeah, you can't access any of your Amiga partitions directly from the Mac desktop. This is because A-Max is really a port of the Macintosh OS that happens to be running on Amiga hardware at that point.

If you ever do get an A-Max partition running, it seems that A-Max has a limit of about 300 MB, so that also means that you can't create a huge A-Max partition. I would stick with 250 MB or less.

Also, A-Max works very well with software that is system friendly, but falls down when software tries to go directly to the hardware. A lot of games bypass the OS, and talk directly to the Mac chips, which on the Amiga, aren't there.

Fortunately there are a lot of games that are system friendly, and do work with A-Max. And, a ton of productivity software, which is really where the gold is hidden.

From a software perspective, A-Max 2.56 was the last of the 2.xx versions (which I have and can share later if anyone is ever interested).

UPDATE:
I think I misspoke earlier. I used a 1GB SD Card and I think I made the A-Max a ridiculous 250MB partition, WB a 50MB partition, and the remainder an Amiga "Work" partition.

I'm also running an ICD AdSpeed at 14Mhz and so, yeah. Once my 128K ROMs load. Sys 6 starts in like 3-4 seconds. :D

UPDATE 2:
I have all of the System disk images. One would need to use Chris' Img2Amax tool to write them to actual floppies on an Amiga. I didn't have to personally do this because I used a Floppy Emu which actually comes with System 6 dsk images on it and I installed them from there to the HDD.

But the Img2Amax tool should be able to be used to create an Mac img into an A-max system disk. (And again, for a floppy setup, just the 1 disk is probably all it takes).

abraxxious

Posted Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:19 pm

:) Again I was not as clear as I could have been, sorry. :)

What I meant was, with Amax II is it possible to boot into System 6 with NO floppy disks of any kind. In other words, System 6 disks converted to Amax format, then converted to ADF's and mounted via a utility like Diskmimic.

In other words, can Amax be pointed to alternative "pseudo" floppy drives that contain ADF's - ie DI0: - an ADF disk image mounted as device Di0:?

I don't mind have a directory of converted ADF's that I have to mount, but I draw the line at physical floppy disks. :)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:01 pm

Nope.

Think of A-Max software that you launch as a "bridge" between the Amiga and a Mac. And it's more on the Mac side (setting up preferences, etc.) Once you "boot" you're in Macintosh land. There's no accessing ADFs/etc as far as I know. You're on a Mac in A-Max, and they don't speak Amiga language.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:09 pm

You could use Disk Mimic to launch A-Max, but then you'd be stuck once it was time to insert the System disk (unless you, like, inserted a real disk). :^)

abraxxious

Posted Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:00 am

Bummer. Seems like my only hope is if David decides to write a Parceiro driver for Amax. :(

Oh well, on to the next project. :)

stevelord

Posted Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:22 am

Having a regular SCSI with SCSI2SD, could I set up a partition on that to use with AMAX? Also, is it possible to prepare a Mac HD image in advance using something like Basilisk or vMac? I'd quite like to run Mac software on my CDTV if that's possible.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:45 am

Having a regular SCSI with SCSI2SD, could I set up a partition on that to use with AMAX?
Only if your HD has an Amax driver (like the Starboard's Stardrive).

Return to “Software”