BatteMan
France

Posted Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:29 pm

I made a KickWork disk for my A1000, with the Piru's mkkickwork command, and I'm proud of me :D

I just wrote an article on my blog (in french), a "how to create a kickwork disk with MorphOS" (but you could adapt this howto easily for WinUAE or a Classic Amiga).
I hope the Google translation is readable for native english !

One disk to rule them all and in the KickWork bind them (this is the link to the Google translation of my article)

Hope this article can be useful for someone someday ;)

dansalvato
Boise, ID

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:48 am

My favorite part of this story is that he's still selling the software for $36. It just seems really cool to buy a piece of software written 30 years ago from the original developer. It's great when things are released as freeware or abandonware, but when it's still for sale it feels special in a way, although it's rare. I think it's a very tangible reminder that these things aren't as "lost to time" as we perceive them.

It makes me wish there was some kind of retro software collective, or app store, that allowed original developers to host and distribute (or sell) their old work, as well as connect with each other. Wouldn't that be amazing?

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:32 pm

Yes, awesome idea. Would be amazing.

... and would drain my money ;) .

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:07 pm

Folks, I'm extremely sad to report that today I learned of Mr. Loew's passing. He died on 11 Sep 2019 at the age of 67.

A small memorial site has been created here, and it links to a re-posting of his original site as well (which has moved URLs).

I am trying to glean more information, but I think his software may be released to the public soon. I discovered he'd been quite well known in some of the old Windows patches realms, as he wrote several that were highly respected. And some of that software is getting released as well. As soon as I learn more I'll be sure to share it. I'd be honored to host his KickWork program if I get the permission to do so.

Skan
Udine, Italy

Posted Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:06 am

intric8 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:07 pm
Folks, I'm extremely sad to report that today I learned of Mr. Loew's passing. He died on 11 Sep 2019 at the age of 67.
So sad... :(
I just read the news about Greg Tibbs' passing as well and it makes me think we're here just for a glimpse... They won't be forgotten, and the work you're doing with their legacy deserve the highest respect.

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:32 pm

LOVE IT <3 ..just got a Kickwork disk up & running & damn how the heck did I miss this great thread :D

..sad to hear the passing of the developer of this cool Kickwork disk passing away at such a young age & grateful his work will live on thanks to his heirs running his website

Dasfaust
Burkburnett, TX
YouTube

Posted Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:45 pm

I just did this in Amiga Forever, it works, going to try it on my A1000 that I'm having trouble with.

Return to “Software”