m4d

Posted Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:06 am

sirimax wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:22 pm
I don't understand... Why?
I had the same problem and for me the solution was to build an adf in WinUAE. I created the KICK31.ROM in a OS3.1 session with GrabKick, put it in the same directory as TKG.EXE and then executed TKG.EXE in a Kickstart/Workbench 1.3 session.

Things i learned along the way:
  • Rom images i found on the net because i was lazy were not recognized
  • Naming of the roms has to be uppercase.
  • Patched Kickstarts don't work at all
Good Luck!

Marchie

Posted Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:51 pm

Hey,

I managed to create the Twinkick disk, but instead of taking me to the boot screen I just end up at a 3.1 DOS prompt. Soft-reset just hangs the machine on a grey screen.

Anyone else experienced this?

Marchie

Posted Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:37 am

Ok, so my DOS prompt was just that it was booting to a HDD with nothing on it. And you MUST hold down a mouse button on reset - learning, learning. This is kind of fun...

BatteMan
France
Website

Posted Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:53 pm

Here, I created a Dual Kickstart Boot but it doesn't work. I think the memory on the Classic 520 doesn't allow it... Or I failed with my floppy :lol:

Marchie

Posted Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:17 pm

You have to use Grabkick on real hardware to extract the 3.1 ROM - at first I used an emulated system and it just wouldn't work. Then you have to run the Twinkick program from your A1000.

It's a pretty temperamental exercise - I have found the reset to be really unreliable so far, hangs most of the time. So much so that it's not really use-able, a machine that you can't soft-reset is actually not much use.

EDIT: User error - no reset problem at all, I have the machine out on a test bench and it was shorting!

m4d

Posted Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:23 am

Marchie wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:17 pm
You have to use Grabkick on real hardware to extract the 3.1 ROM - at first I used an emulated system and it just wouldn't work. Then you have to run the Twinkick program from your A1000.
As I wrote above I've created my TwinKick in WinUAE and it totally works.

Return to “Software”