Ratte

Posted Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:11 am

TWINKICK IS A HACK !

A Kick1.3 is loaded which, in addition to a virus scanner, has a separate detection for the Kickstart boot block and detects the Twinkick.
If this is the case, the computer is put into a special mode and the additional Kickstart is loaded into the FastMem.
Then a special Kickstart detection is used to activate the additional Kickstart.

For this function it is necessary that the memory expansion is at $200000 and is listed first in the autoconfig list or is not an autoconfig card at all.

Some combo cards unfortunately do not bind the memory first, on this hardware Twinkick unfortunately does not work.

Twinkick is just a hack,.

BR
André

Ratte

Posted Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:37 am

The system requires a memory expansion as first expansion.
This is absolutely necessary for operation.

With the HC520, the hard disk controller is probably integrated first,
a check with Sysinfo (also works under OS1.x) could help.

br
Ratte

jdryyz

Posted Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:06 pm

I wanted to experiment with making a TwinKick disk but have much the same problems described here.

Actually, it got even worse with my last attempt. My A500/A600/A2000 KS 3.1 40.63 ROM file is not cooperating with WinUAE. It HALTS on start. The ROM is also not detected during a ROM scan so it could be a corrupt file. I pulled it straight from the TOSEC archive.

Prior to that, I used my real A2000 Workbench 1.3 environment from and a disk that contained the TwinKick.exe and KICK31.ROM. I got the same error about the 3.1 kickstart not being detected. I initially used a 40.68 KS and then switched over to 40.63 based on the error message. Still did not help.

Ratte

Posted Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:23 pm

jdryyz wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:06 pm
Prior to that, I used my real A2000 Workbench 1.3 environment from and a disk that contained the TwinKick.exe and KICK31.ROM. I got the same error about the 3.1 kickstart not being detected. I initially used a 40.68 KS and then switched over to 40.63 based on the error message. Still did not help.
Kick3.1
The file must be an original image of an A500/2000 Kickstart3.1 ROM (Commodore V40.63).
The file must be exactly 512 KB (524288 bytes).
The file must have the filename KICK31.ROM (capitalized).

Kick1.3
The file must be an original image of an A500/2000 Kickstart1.3 ROM (Commodore V34.5).
The file must be exactly 256 KB (262144 bytes).
The file must have the filename KICK13.ROM (capitalized).

How to:
Run the program TKG.EXE and then insert the floppy disk with the two ROM files into the internal drive.
The floppy disk must be writable.
With the mouse buttons you can now choose between NTSC or PAL version.
(PAL: The difference is only in the OS1.3 DOS window, which is opened to 256 pixel height).

Alternatively to a respective ROM file, one can also start the program on an Amiga with a corresponding ROM.
The program then reports if there is a usable ROM (1.3 or 3.1) in the computer.
Accordingly then only the respective missing ROM is necessary as a file.

astuermer

Posted Sun May 29, 2022 5:10 am

That would be great to have a Twinkick 1.3 and 3.2… possible?

ByteMavericks

Posted Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:14 am

Bit guilty for a thread necro here, but I'm struggling with TwinKick.

Got the disk built after a bit of messing around, however my A1k will not go beyond booting 1.3.

I had a Spirit INboard1000 which only gave 1.5MB in the wrong place, so I added a Tom Thule 4MB non-autoconfig memory card that sits in the 68k socket. The memory starts at $200000 which appears to be what is needed, but as said it doesn't autoconfig.

Still no joy.

I've removed the Spirit Inboard in case it was misbehaving. No joy there either.

Any suggestions? Ratte, do you still have the source for this? :D

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:19 am

You could as well try the international section of A1k.org - Ratte is quite active on A1k.org.

Return to “Software”