MattX
Stargard, Poland

Posted Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:57 am

Now the photo is visible, but earlier that day it was just 'dead' image icon on my Android phone and Linux PC. Great it works now.

I can see that Classic 520 gives some good boost for the first Amiga and the CF feature is really essential for someone who uses A1000 for some serious work like You do.

Really like your A1000 setup. So clean and you even use real Amiga CRT monitor. The use of the external drive as a case for the expansion board is a supprise. I thought it's a functional drive. Really great idea to keep the setup clean. 😊

iljitsch

Posted Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:23 am

I mentioned this in my "converting old documents" post, but as this is a pinned thread and it's relevant here, I'll repeat myself:

I tried "printing" from Wordworth 6 in order to create PDF files of my old documents. The obvious way to do that would be by printing to a PostScript, which various tools can then turn into PDF. But for some reason my Mac choked on my Amiga's PS files. Also, for me this meant being limited to the small set of standard PostScript fonts. And these are as boring as they come.

I want my CompuGraphic fonts and I want them now!

Turns out there is a PCL to PDF tool. PCL is HP's printer command language. So now I can print using a printer driver for a printer like the LaserJet 4 and with the CMD tool save the output to a file. PCLtoPDF will then convert those files to PDF.

So this way I was able to output all of Wordworth's cool text warping tricks using any Amiga font and turn that into a PDF for safe keeping or printing on any modern printer. Don't bother turning on "font downloads" as the output is a giant bitmap anyway.

Alternatively, you can print using the printer's font(s) and then you get a file that has the text in it along with some printer commands, so you can recover the original text if you don't have any other way to do so. (Not a problem for Wordworth, which will save to plain text or RTF, but helpful with ProCalc.) Not sure to what degree all the printer's fonts are accurately emulated, but it looked fairly good and was much, much, much faster than graphic printing.

Speed is the main downside, with printing one page in graphics mode taking almost a minute on my 1200 with a 50 MHz 68060 and 64 MB RAM... with surprisingly low CPU usage. Not sure what's going on there. But at least you can turn on "background printing" and continue working with Wordworth while it's printing.

Left as an exercise for the reader: finding a printer driver that will support color, and perhaps higher resolutions. The DeskJet drivers I tried didn't work.

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:52 am

You might want to look into TurboPrint (v7). It is a suite that eventually can replace the OS driver and generate PS in version 7.

Could be standard-compliant PostScript.

Return to “Software”