LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:00 pm

Over the weekend, I set up a nice ClassicWB setup for my Amiga 600, which I'll be copying to a CF card and installing once I get word from AmigaStore.EU that the A604n is back in stock, which I'll be ordering along with a Furia accelerator (which means I'll have a 68EC020 CPU at 33 MHz, 2 MB Chip, and 9.5 MB Fast RAM... plenty for projects involving DPaint and OctaMed!

The version of ClassicWB I used is tailored for slower Amigas, like the 500 and 600, happily using low color palettes but with nicer icons and some of the extra underpinnings beneficial of Workbench 3.1. It even offers a Workbench 1.3 theme for that classic look if you fancy! :)
amiga600-crop-1807192046-01.png
While it does come with WHDLoad included, I don't intend to use it on the A600. And since a Vampire may not happen for me, I don't intend to get anything that pushes the crap out of the system like that (the 4000 will be the pimped out machine!)

Todd
Cincinnati, OH

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:59 pm

Looking good my man!

I hope to have my Furia video review out in the next 1 to 2 weeks. I have some great tips and tricks on how to extract every ounce of performance out of it and utilize ALL of its onboard fast ram.

It’s a true monster of a card considering it’s just an 020 cpu.

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:24 am

I can't wait to see it! I'm holding off with putting this setup into the 600 for a bit because I feel that it's going to be extremely tight with just 1MB Chip RAM in there currently. And an 020 chip is still a big leap over a stock 68000, so anything I can do to get some decent performance from my little 600 would be perfect! :)

Once your Furia video comes out, I'll check it out so I can get some good pointers on how to get the Furia to work at its best!
Last edited by LambdaCalculus on Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Todd
Cincinnati, OH

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:05 am

The cool thing is the Furia requires no software to be installed or any other special configuration. Just plonk it down on top of the existing 68000 cpu and it just works.

However you can optionally install the Furiatune software and really coax out the performance. It's pretty awesome.

Return to “Software”