intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:23 pm

A brand new SHMUP launched for all Amigas OCS and above on April 11 called Inviyya.

The game is a gorgeous horizontal side-scrolling space shooter flying in the afterburner trails of R-Type.

inviyya2.jpg

The game was written on PAL machines but should work on every existing Amiga with at least 512k Chip and any other form of 512kb extra RAM (chip, slow or fast), PAL or NTSC.

I've since tested it on an NTSC Amiga 1000 and it really could use some slight acceleration above the standard 7mhz 68K. When you've got a ton of on-screen elements flying around sometimes the ol' A1K will start to slow down a bit. Sprinkle just a tiny bit of acceleration on top and it's pure bliss. I moved the game over to a non-accelerated 16Mhz Amiga 3000 and it was total butter.

The graphics, sound and arcade action are all super high-quality. This game is very addicting to play. I played with my Monster Joystick with Sanwa parts and I felt completely transported. Only thing lacking was some wild and crazy arcade carpet. (Hmm...)

In fact the MOD soundtrack is even now a separated download and ready to be played on your modern machines, which is in fact what I'm doing right now as I type this. :boing:

Here is a quick clip of the intro screen:

It plays off a single boot disk or WHDLoad install. You get 6 levels of action (I've made it to level 3 so far) and it is old-school hard - and that's a good thing. No trainers, no cheats - not even auto-fire. You have to retrain your brain a bit and relive what it was like playing EPYX Summer Games with that fire button - and it's great!

I did encounter a couple of minor screen glitches on my NTSC machines but nothing that made the game unplayable. Here's a clip of Level 2, where my son held the camera and was responsible for the videography.

You can grab the digital download off itch.io for a very reasonable $12. Or, you can hop over to poly.play for a box edition (I got one of both to throw my full support towards the dev, Tigerskunk, who I know had been working on and off for years).
inviyya1.jpg

The game was written in machine language, which Tigerskunk had to learn on his own from scratch to make this game. He has been a coder his entire professional career but this was a whole new challenge.

I love the fact he aimed at the lowest common denominator with this game, not the highest only a few dozen could ever play and enjoy. My son, who turns 12 in June, absolutely loves this game and can't wait to play it in our "Amiga arcade" any chance he is given.

And you're dang right I let him!

:joystick: <3
IMG_2908.jpg
Graham getting his game night action going on the Amiga 3000.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:36 pm

There's also (already) a trainer that's been created to mod your disks - under full support of the dev. Create a new disk with the original ADF, then drop these files into their proper places (2 files + a new startup sequence).

You can get the trainers created by some folks on EAB:
NTSC trainer fix files
PAL trainer files

Simply copy the two files to your appropriate disk as well as the the startup sequence and your disk will include the new trainer, for those wanting to hone specific level skills before doing a full and complete run.

Silverstreak
YouTube

Posted Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:41 am

It’s it such a nice looking game. I splashed out and got a physical edition, so i’m holding back until it arrives! I’m struggling to wait 😅

We seem to be in a bit of a golden age of Amiga development at the moment. With the new Abyss tool chain and Scorpion engine, fun times ahead!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:57 am

splashed out and got a physical edition
Yeah, I did, too. I couldn't wait, though, so I also got the digital download for an extra $12. By the time I get the physical version (which could be months) I hope to be a well-seasoned pilot. =)

pnutttz

Posted Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 pm

I understand that a boxed copy of this game is going to be a prize for the June AmigaLive tournament! The dev won a copy and has decided to gift it! You can sign up to the competition (and any of the other tournaments) at AmigaLive.com/GameTime

Mixel

Posted Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:34 pm

Bought it digitally and absolutely love it so far. Makes me realise how much my ZipStick is dying though. Noooo. Feel like it would take a good few attempts to complete!

I cant even begin to comprehend learning such a complex language to make a game from scratch, I occasionally have issues understanding what I'm doing in scorpion, where the scripting is really simple. :o

Really nice to have this and Tinyus recently, definitely need more shooters!

-Blackline-

Posted Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:14 am

It looks great. I watched all the live stream. 😀 ordered the collector’s edition box.

Tigerskunk

Posted Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:53 am

hey Intric8,

just registered to say I am super flattered by your more than kind review..
Plus, I love your site for a long time already a lot since I am a huge A1000 fan as well. :)

Yep, NTSC needs some acceleration if you are playing on a A1000. Never seen that, to be honest, though, so no idea how bad it is... lol..

Anyway, thanks for the nice review, and for your amazing website and those videos on Youtube.
Tigerskunk/Michael

Return to “Games”