hlabrande

Posted Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:40 am

That's great! I highly recommend making a text-only parser version of a point-and-click adventure; one has to be careful to define what verbs will be used beforehand, though. (You can add any verb in a parser, but point-and-clicks have 9, 4, 2, or even 1 verbs.)

I probably will document my process at some point, but maybe more the technical aspect of releasing for 34 platforms than the design aspect (though I probably will discuss this too). There are very good resources to create interactive fiction online.
Here's an idea for a process, close to what I've been doing. I'd recommend she reads Ron Gilbert's article on Puzzle Dependency Charts to craft the scenario; then use Trizbort to plan the geography (room connections, objects/puzzles/characters in each room); then use the Inform 6 export function to get a nice stub for the game; then write a fake transcript (article here; then insert the text in the I6 stub; then use the Inform 6 compiler (latest is 6.34) and a resource like the Inform's Beginner's Guide to finish the game.
Best of luck and ask me again if you need help !

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:51 pm

Wow, thanks for those tips. I really appreciate it. AdventureX conference is cancelled this year, which we normally go to, but they are doing a game jam in its place. This will be perfect to get up and running. Hopefully we will have something to show.

hlabrande

Posted Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:55 pm

I'm happy to announce that "Tristam Island" is out! Play it on your Amigas, or one of the 35 other different platforms :D
https://hlabrande.itch.io/tristam-island

The game comes with a hint sheet and a feelie (a postcard set in the game's universe). There probably will be a physical release, but I don't have more information about it right now. It's a rather long game (7-10 hours of gameplay), but the difficulty isn't too bad; the game is very forgiving and won't lock you out of victory (if so, it's a bug, let me know!).

It's a bootable disk, and shows you a splash screen, which I'm showing you here to entice you :) And the interpreter that I use to run the game allows you to run other programs at the same time, like if you want to play some music in the background !

I've gotten a great response from the Amiga community, as the Amiga was the #1 platform for number of downloads for the demo, above the C64 and the Windows version. (Putting the demo on Aminet probably helped.) I hope you enjoy the game!

https://hlabrande.itch.io/tristam-island
amiga.png

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:17 pm

Congrats, Hugo! And thanks for letting us know.

UPDATE: Purchased! Thanks for all your hard work.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:28 pm

I downloaded the following versions for my collection. Holy smoke - that OS X version! Hah! That sucker is massive for a text adventure.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 2.28.06 PM.png

hlabrande

Posted Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:11 pm

Thanks! Haha yeah, the interpreter used for Windows, OS X and Linux is one that stems from a JavaScript implementation, bundled in an Electron package. These things tend to bloat, because they pack a whole rendering engine... But it's the most recent, cross-platform and nicest-looking interpreter on these platforms, I feel :D

Return to “Games”